[Infowarrior] - MySpace CEO Chris DeWolfe Steps Down

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Apr 23 02:20:17 UTC 2009

It's Official: MySpace CEO Chris DeWolfe Steps Down

Michael Arrington
TechCrunch.com
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:00 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/22/AR2009042203659_pf.html

No more speculation or leaks, it's official. As we wrote yesterday,
MySpace cofounder Chris DeWolfe will shortly be leaving the company.
He'll remain on board as a strategic advisor. The press release is
below.

News Corp. is also signaling that cofounder Tom Anderson is staying on
board, albeit in a new role - even last night we heard that he was a
goner.

Whoever the new CEO is, we'll know soon. News Corp. PR is leaking to
their subsidiary press outlets that Owen Van Natta is the prime
candidate, but at least a couple of other people are still supposedly
in the running. If Van Natta, a former Facebook exec, takes over, the
investors that backed him at Playlist are going to want an
explanation. He took over the CEO role there less than six months ago.

Chris DeWolfe to Step Down as CEO of MySpace

Will serve as strategic advisor to Company

Los Angeles, CA, April 22, 2009 - MySpace CEO Chris DeWolfe and News
Corporation?s Chief Digital Officer Jonathan Miller, announced today
that, by mutual agreement, Mr. DeWolfe will not be renewing his
contract and will be stepping down in the near future. Mr. DeWolfe
will continue to serve on the board of MySpace China and will be a
strategic advisor to the Company.

Additionally, Mr. Miller announced that he was in discussions with Tom
Anderson, MySpace?s president, about Mr. Anderson assuming a new role
in the organization.

?Chris and Tom are true pioneers and we greatly value the tremendous
job they?ve done in growing MySpace into what it is today,? said Mr.
Miller. ?Thanks largely to their vision, MySpace has become a vibrant
creative community with 130 million passionate followers worldwide. It
is an enormously successful property and we look forward to building
on its achievements with a new management structure we?ll announce in
the near future.?

?In a little under six years we?ve grown MySpace from a small
operation with seven people to a very profitable business with over
1,600 employees,? said Mr. DeWolfe. ?It?s been one of the best
experiences of my life and we?re proud of, and grateful to, the team
of talented people who helped us along the way. We thank them, as well
as the MySpace community for making our vision a reality.?

?From the very beginning, our driving passion has been simple - to
create and foster a platform where people across the globe can not
only meet and interact, but share music, videos, thoughts and ideas,?
said Mr. Anderson. I look forward to working with Jon. I love this
business, and look forward to its next chapter.?
© 2009 TechCrunch