[Infowarrior] - Transportation Dept. Reverses FAA on Bird Strike Data

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Apr 22 23:48:58 UTC 2009

Transportation Dept. Reverses FAA on Bird Strike Data

By Lois Romano
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:16 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/22/AR2009042202057_pf.html

The Department of Transportation is preparing to reject a proposal by
the Federal Aviation Administration that would keep secret data about
where and when birds strike airplanes.

The FAA last month quietly posted a proposal in the federal register,
requesting public comment, that would bar the release of its records
on bird collisions. The proposal followed a prominent incident in
January when a flock of geese brought down a commercial flight,
forcing the pilot to make an emergency landing on the Hudson River.
The agency immediately came under fire because the recommendation runs
counter President's Obama vows of government transparency.

Among the high-profile boosters of releasing the information is
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, whose agency oversees the FAA. He
said the comments ran "99.9 percent" in favor of making such
information accessible.

"I think all of this information ought to be made public, and I think
that you'll soon be reading about the fact that we're going to, you
know, make this information as public as anybody wants it," LaHood
said in an interview for The Washington Post's "New Voices of Power"
series. "The people should have access to this kind of information.

"The whole thing about the bird strike issue is it doesn't really
comport with the president's idea of transparency," the secretary
said. "I mean, here they just released all of these CIA files
regarding interrogation, and . . . the optic of us trying to tell
people they can't have information about birds flying around airports,
I don't think that really quite comports with the policies of the
administration. . . . It's something that somebody wanted to put out
there to get a reaction. We got the reaction, and now we're going to
bring it to conclusion."

The FAA proposed secrecy on the collisions because the reports are now
voluntary and because it was concerned that worries about a harmful
impact on business would discourage both airlines and airports from
providing the information. In the federal register, the agency wrote
that "there is a serious potential that information related to bird
strikes will not be submitted because of fear that the disclosure of
raw data could unfairly cast unfounded aspersion on the submitter."