[Infowarrior] - Amazon taking a position on GLBT books?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Apr 13 01:18:47 UTC 2009

(h/t TL)

http://markprobst.livejournal.com/15293.html

On Amazon.com two days ago, mysteriously, the sales rankings
disappeared from two newly-released high profile gay romance books:
“Transgressions” by Erastes and “False Colors” by Alex Beecroft.
Everybody was perplexed. Was it a glitch of some sort? The very next
day HUNDREDS of gay and lesbian books simultaneously lost their sales
rankings, including my book “The Filly.” There was buzz, What’s going
on?

< - amazon response - >

Yes, it is true. Amazon admits they are indeed stripping the sales
ranking indicators for what they deem to be “adult” material. Of
course they are being hypocritical because there is a multitude of
“adult” literature out there that is still being ranked – Harold
Robbins, Jackie Collins, come on! They are using categories THEY set
up (gay and lesbian) to now target these books as somehow offensive.

Now in fairness I should point out that Amazon has also stopped
ranking many books in the "erotica" categories as well which includes
straight erotica. But that's a whole other battle that I'll leave to
the erotica writers to take on.

http://markprobst.livejournal.com/15293.html