[Infowarrior] - The Profile Police

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Apr 6 12:22:35 UTC 2009

The Profile Police
Campus Officers Cruise Facebook, MySpace for Clues To School-Related
Crimes, to Some Students' Chagrin

By Michael Birnbaum
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, April 6, 2009; A01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/05/AR2009040501880_pf.html

As high school students flock to social networking sites, campus
police are scanning their Facebook and MySpace pages for tips to help
break up fights, monitor gangs and thwart crime in what amounts to a
new cyberbeat.

Some students object to police looking over their shoulders. But
officers responsible for school safety say routine checks of the
online forums often add to the knowledge they glean from hallways or
schoolyards.

"I can't tell you how many fights we've been able to prevent," said
Officer Freddie Rappina, who is based at Robinson Secondary School in
Fairfax County.

He and another officer watch over more than 4,000 students at the
largest school in Virginia. In Rappina's small office at the end of a
series of long hallways, a flat-panel computer screen offers him a
portal into student life.

"Let's say two kids are having a spat online," he said. "I can take
them in here and talk to them."

Students who have run away from home occasionally check in with their
friends on the sites, providing him with information he can use to
help get the kids to safety, Rappina added. But he said the computer
is no substitute for face-to-face contact with students.

In recent years, school administrators have blamed some campus fights
on Internet taunts and urged parents to keep watch on their children's
computer activity. But students who use the Web to let their 500
closest friends know what they are doing at all times are sometimes
surprised that police are watching, too.

Police don't have special privileges on Facebook or MySpace. Students
who want to go unobserved can change privacy settings so that their
profiles are displayed only to a list of approved people. But the
default settings leave those profiles open to many Internet users (in
the case of Facebook) or all of them (in the case of MySpace).

Employers and college admissions counselors have vetted online
profiles of student applicants for some time. Police across the
country have been doing the same for the past two or three years, said
Kevin Quinn, a spokesman for the Minnesota-based National Association
of School Resource Officers.

"If you're already familiar with the technology, it doesn't take you
but a couple of minutes to hook into the student population and keep
an eye on things," Quinn said.

An expedition into a thicket of blinking MySpace profiles found high
school students discussing drugs, sex and fights. It was all publicly
available (although in language that caused a reporter to blush).

"It's crazy, the things they put on there," Loudoun County Sheriff
Stephen O. Simpson said. "They seem to think they're invisible."

Simpson said some of his deputies, like authorities elsewhere,
proactively track student profiles. That disturbs some of those being
monitored.

"I think it's an invasion of the student's privacy," said Sarah
Steinberg, 18, a senior at Robinson Secondary. She said her mother had
access to her Facebook account and kept an eye on her online
interactions. But she said there was a difference between the
forgiving glance of a parent and the potentially more consequential
surveillance of a police officer. "It's outside of school, and I just
don't think it should be part of the school's job to do that," she said.

Her mother agreed: "I believe it's a parent's job," Judy Ottosen said.

But police say it is impossible to ignore an important school social
sphere.

"Three or four years ago, 20 percent of kids" had Facebook or MySpace
profiles, said Officer Joe Lowery, who is based at James Hubert Blake
High School in Silver Spring. "Now if you ask, they almost all raise
their hand."

Lowery said he and other Montgomery County officers who work in
schools do not peruse the sites systematically. Even if they were
inclined to do so, he said, they wouldn't have time. But Lowery said
officers will log on, or ask students to log on to their own accounts,
when students or parents approach them with concerns.

"You get some kids who are gang-involved," Lowery said. "A lot of
these kids put it right on their Facebook or their MySpace. And you go
to their site and they've got their colors up, they've got their
pledges on there, sometimes they're even holding weapons. It can be
very disturbing."

Lowery said parents often have little idea what their children are up
to online. On occasion, he said, parents have brought printouts of
profile pages for him to review. Last year, Lowery said, he solved an
armed robbery of two Blake students when he turned up a picture on a
MySpace profile of a man whose clothing exactly matched the students'
description.

Late last month, Fairfax County police announced the arrests of seven
Chantilly area teenagers for allegedly trying to recruit Franklin
Middle School students to a gang. That investigation was aided when a
student showed the school resource officer gang symbols littering one
of the suspect's MySpace profiles.

Fairfax police say they pride themselves on addressing issues in
schools before they flare into major problems. Keeping an eye on
Facebook and MySpace has become an extra tool in that effort, they
said. But some students were surprised that their profiles were
subject to search.

"It's not really [their] business to be looking at students'
profiles," said Eleni Gibson, 15, a freshman at Robinson. "Because
they might see something that students didn't want them to see." But
she acknowledged that the practice might be worthwhile for safety.

Others said they are aware that authorities might be cruising online
student profiles.

"I think that we all know that [they] can look at our Facebooks, and
they do," said LeighAnne Baxter, 17, a senior at Robinson. "If you do
put up incriminating pictures, you have to be prepared for the
consequences."