[Infowarrior] - Management shortcomings seen at NSA

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon May 7 01:07:32 UTC 2007

------ Forwarded Message

From: Jason L

WASHINGTON //  In a sharp rebuke to the National Security Agency's
leadership, an internal task force has concluded that the country's
largest intelligence agency lacks vision and is unable to set objectives
and meet them.

NSA employees also do not trust one another, which has left the agency
fragmented and in search of a "unity of purpose," according to a task
force report released to employees late last month.

"What we need is fundamental change in the way we manage NSA and what we
expect of management and ourselves," concluded the study, which was led
by George "Dennis" Bartko, the NSA's deputy chief of cryptanalysis. The
Sun obtained unclassified portions of the report and eight related
documents.

Management problems have been blamed for repeated setbacks as the agency
tries to upgrade its ability to analyze the millions of snippets of
conversations and other communications collected worldwide every day. In
recent years, several major programs have been hampered by delays,
technology breakdowns or cost overruns.

Yet the report's blunt conclusions are strikingly similar to those in a
pair of 1999 NSA studies, raising questions about how much progress the
Maryland-based agency has made since then.

< - >

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.nsa06may06,0,885480.stor
y?page=1&coll=bal-home-headlines