[Dataloss] (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Tue Feb 13 10:57:31 EST 2007

Speaking for myself here.  As I understand things:

Certain versions of Vista (I think Ultimate and Enterprise) include
Bitlocker whole drive encryption.  It's not on by default because of issues
about key management.  So just upgrading to Vista, in and of itself,
doesn't change anything.

Bitlocker itself has a bunch of modes, ranging from keys stored in a
TPM and unlocked with a PIN, to keys stored on the hard drive and
unlocked with a password.  How you actually protect the encryption
keys might be seen as important.  I don't know if anyone has done a
comparison against state laws.

Adam