[Dataloss] (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

Chris Walsh cwalsh at cwalsh.org
Tue Feb 13 16:38:04 EST 2007

Not sure if Bitlocker supports encryption of data volumes on
removable media.  Depending on how your CXOs use machines, this may
be an important consideration.

OTOH, you can transfer at least some of the risk by purchasing
insurance which would cover the cost of complying with notice
requirements.  I would imagine the insurance companies are wise to
the adverse selection issues here, so you can't blithely ignore
security, but you may be able to get away with (pardon the word
choice) less than military-grade encryption on every laptop.

Chubb Group is one underwriter of breach insurance.  There are more
but that is the only name that comes to mind.