[Dataloss] (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

Herve Roggero hroggero at pynlogic.com
Tue Feb 13 07:34:43 EST 2007

Yes, I don't disagree. But isn't this legally different? Would this change
my disclosure requirement?

Let me give an example: If I do business in California, and my unencrypted
laptop gets stolen with 100,000 SSNs in it, stored in clear text. I need to
disclose this loss and reach out to 100,000 people to comply with SB 1386.

Now, if I upgrade my laptops to MS Vista, can I get away with it?

I'm only asking as I am seeing an interesting response from CXO individuals
looking at MS Vista as a solution to their laptop/legal issues. If there is
no official technical workaround to this encryption and it takes thousands
or millions of years to crack, then it may fall under the "reasonable" steps
to protect information and become a powerful tool for businesses looking to
comply.

Thank you

Herve Roggero

Managing Partner, Pyn Logic LLC