[Dataloss] What is my data worth?

Jason Lewis jlewis at packetnexus.com
Sun Sep 24 05:39:45 EDT 2006

I was reading about various lawsuits against companies/entities that
have had data breaches and I got to thinking. Has anyone done any
research into how valuable my data is?  I would think that would go a
long way in estimating losses.

For example, an advertiser is interested in target demographics, how
much will they pay for info about me and my spending habit, credit card
debt, loans, etc.

How much is the average consumer's data worth?  Is it even reasonable to
try and figure out that cost when trying to punish entities that lose
the information?

jas