[attrition] review: Book: Fedora Linux

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sat Dec 16 14:02:34 EST 2006

http://attrition.org/~lyger/works/reviews/fedora.html

Chris Tyler - Amazon.com
ISBN: 0-596-52682-2
O'Reilly Media Inc., Copyright 2007

About fifty percent of the way into this book, I quit taking notes and
just kept reading. Even though the front cover labels this book as "a
concise task-based approach", a more accurate description would be "a
completely-thorough-to-the-point-of-being-scary approach." Chris Tyler
clearly knows his stuff; after 600 pages of technical detail about Fedora
and Linux in general, all I can say is "dot... dot... dot...".

The book starts off with a chapter titled "Installing Fedora". Good
choice. From there, other chapters include desktop usage, notebook usage,
system management, storage administration, networking, and security. One
middle chapter about "package management" will mean little to those with
no interest in Fedora or Red Hat, but the chapter itself, as well as the
book in general, is fairly well detailed about RPM and 'yum' technologies.
In my opinion, chapter 5 (Package Management) wasn't particularly useful
for me, but Fedora and RH junkies will probably find more than a few
tidbits of information that should be useful, especially the installation,
roll-backs, and creation of RPM packages.

[...]