[attrition] review: Movie: The Illusionist

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sun Dec 17 14:43:57 EST 2006

http://attrition.org/movies/illusionist.html

The Illusionist
2006
Czarina

Movies at their core are illustrated illusions, celluloid chimeras, and
digital deceptions. We go to the theaters to watch what we already know is
not real; even if it is "based on a true story or actual events," we know
that someone else is in control of both the vertical and horizontal.
People happily pay good money to be lied to, which is about the only time
that people will do so without filing a complaint with the local BBB or
news channel consumer action reporter.

So, keeping this in mind, I will look at The Illusionist, a film that
proves to be quite enjoyable; although it doesn't look like much at the
beginning, it slowly turns into an enchanting and magical film. With solid
performances from the entire cast, this tale encases a story of forbidden
love and one man's attempt to reclaim it.

In turn-of-the century Vienna, an extraordinary magician, known only as
Eisenheim (Edward Norton), has enraptured the city with his wondrous
talent at sleight of hand. Eisenheim is no stranger to the town, as he
spent his formative years there but hastily quit the city when his
forbidden love with the aristocratic Sophie (Jessica Biel) was discovered
by the girl's mother, who did not want her to consort with someone below
her station. Eisenheim, not of blue blood, loses the one thing in life
that he treasures most, and with nothing left to tie him to Vienna, he
treks the globe and learns the art of legerdemain.

[...]