[Dataloss] CardSystems Settles FTC Charges

Adrian Sanabria adrian.sanabria at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 20:43:46 EST 2006

Mastercard doesn't keep a list, and neither do AMEX or Discover. VISA
was the first to organize data security requirements, and although the
other card companies were putting together their own programs, they
opted to adopt VISA's instead. So, if you're in compliance with PCI,
you are in compliance with VISA, Discover, AMEX and Mastercard. That's
why AMEX dropped Cardsystems the very next day, after VISA's
announcement to do so.

I believe the agreement is the same internationally, where VISA's data
security program is referred to as AIS instead of PCI.

I also believe that VISA will be the first to enforce minimum
requirements for payment applications (PC-based apps that allow
merchants to swipe and enter credit card numbers, then send them off
for processing). They currently only have best practices posted:
http://usa.visa.com/download/business/accepting_visa/ops_risk_management/cisp_Payment_Application_Best_Practices.pdf?it=il|/business/accepting_visa/ops_risk_management/cisp_payment_applications.html|Payment%20Application%20Best%20Practices

It is very interesting that Pay by Touch isn't on the list. They seem
to keep the list fairly up-to-date also...