[widdershins] Amazing... and yet we still survive...

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Wed Oct 13 13:29:54 EDT 2004

nicolas vigier(boklm at mars-attacks.org)@Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 06:59:30PM +0200:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, drag sidious wrote:
>
> > myself to the EU or China's government myself. I can do and say things
> > in this country that would get me arrested in countries with lesser
> > garentees on free speech, such as Germany or France. Stuff that.
>
> Hmm, are you sure there are less garentees on free speech in Germany and
> France ? At least there is not (yet ?) something like DMCA.

Yeah, both of those countries have some interesting legacies from
World War II.  Or rather, from immediately following the war.  Certain
restrictions meant to prevent the rise of Nazism again, particularly
in Germany.

As for France, it's had some pro-secular/anti-religion laws since the
Revolution (ref. no Muslim scarves in schools).  While Germany might
not be as dogmatic as France on that front, it does have laws banning
"cults" (ref. Scientology).

There are probably better sources for this than I, though, this is
just what I can recall right now.

Regards,
Ben