[sticklist] - LTG Medenbach dedication

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri May 8 17:48:30 UTC 2009

(c/o Jack Wyatt '57)

During the Alumni Memorial Chapel Service on Saturday morning (4/25) a
memorial plaque for General Medenbach was dedicated in the narthex of
the chapel.  It is to the right of the doors, next to the plaque for
General Baker.  The dedication comments are shown below.

ALUMNI WEEKEND – APRIL 25, 2009
ALUMNI MEMORIAL CHAPEL SERVICE

Our founder, LTG Baker was succeeded as Superintendent of the Valley
Forge
Military Academy by his long time friend and trusted second in command,
Lieutenant General Milton H. Medenbach.  As a close associate of the
Founder
during his Valley Forge career, which began in 1932, General Medenbach
served
in, or assisted in the establishment of, practically every department
of the
institution.  He held the posts of Teacher, Tactical Officer,
Adjutant, Chief of Staff,
Deputy Superintendent, and served for more than 30 years as Commandant
of
Cadets.  His final active assignment was that of Superintendent.
Following his
retirement as Superintendent in 1971, he served the school as
Superintendent
Emeritus, and as a volunteer historian and archivist.  He was the Vice
President
and Secretary of the former Chapel Foundation Board of Directors.
General
Medenbach died on January 16, 2007 at the age of 99 after 74 years of
service to
our Alma Mater.

He and his wife, Helen, rest in the crypt at the front of the chapel.

During his many years of service to Valley Forge, General Medenbach
was the
driving force in establishing the high standards of the traditions of
character,
personal discipline, drill, ceremonies, and individual fitness that
have been the
hallmarks of military excellence at Valley Forge that we as alumni
hold dear in our
memories.

It was with great sadness that we mourned his passing but at the same
time we
continue to celebrate his life and honor him for his service,
dedication and
contribution to Valley Forge and to the many of us in the Long Line of
Grey that
had the privilege, and the honor to be taught and mentored by him.

At this time, in this place and with so much going on around us, it is
fitting to
conclude this dedication with some of General Medenbach’s own words in
an
excerpt from the Chapel address he gave to the Corps and their
visitors on
October 24, 1999.  At the time he was 91 years old.

I quote “As I look at you from this vantage point, I am always
reminded of the
French axiom that says: ‘the more it changes, the more it is the
same!’ It is, of
course, the nature of the Corps of Cadets, as opposed to a “student
body.” The
faces change, but the Corps is always the same – a vibrant, living
entity, which
holds you firmly with the silken bonds of sentiment for the rest of
your life. The
Corps is like that miracle of nature—the bubbling spring—which pours
its cool,
pure water out of the earth—unending and unlimited—there for the taking!
And—so it is with the corps, which produces traditions, customs,
loyalties,
friendships and integrity year after year—all for the taking and all
priceless gifts!
This unchanging trait of the Corps makes me feel entirely at home, as
I stand
before you this morning, for the Corps has been a vital part of my
life for so many
years and no one can ever leave it behind’

It is with great honor that I help to dedicate this plaque this
morning in General
Medenbach’s honor so that all of us that knew him and all those who
come after
us will have a place to remember and honor this great man.

Jack Wyatt
Class of 1957
VFMA&C
April 25, 2009