[sticklist] - MidWest Alumni Regiment Commander Resigns

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Jul 11 13:47:02 UTC 2009

(c/o the FOG Mail List and Pete Robinson):

Following email dated 7/10/2009 was addressed to the alumni relations
office of Valley Forge.

Erin,

I you would be so kind as to forward this to the correct individuals.

Effective July 13th 2009 I am resigning my post as Regiment Commander
for the Midwest Regiment.

In addition I had recently submitted a request to Erin Wooley to
obtain a Alumni Board Position for the 2009 School Year. My reasons
are similar to those of my classmates David Welsh and Joel Grunke ,
however I have the advantage of looking at my Alma Mater from the
outside not from an internal board appointment.

My disenchantment with the current state of affairs has been growing
for the last 4 years, I attended Silver and Gold Star Dinners,
assisted in forming the second Alumni Regiment and have been speaking
with Joel Grunke to secure a board appointment with the hope that I
could effect change. The resignations of my classmates are a key
indicator that this strategy is not effective and I feel to pursue an
appointment would lead to a futile utilization of my time.

Valley Forge Military And College no longer maintains the founding
principles I believe are the cornerstone to my success in life, family
and business. Our cadets are seen at Valley Forge Mall with their
Chapel Caps on backwards or sitting sideways on their heads. Their
uniforms are dirty and un-pressed and shoes are in such poor shape you
would think they where vagabonds not from an institution that has a
tuition rate of $30,000 a year. I attended several Silver and Gold
Stars dinners and each time the table I was seated at the cadets,
officers included they where rude and viewed the entire event as a
joke. Furthermore I took my 6 year old son to see my Alma Mater and a
JC Football game in 07, We toured the campus and secured permission to
enter several of the halls. Locks on the doors, floors filthy just
deplorable and the rooms that where open, I could not believe what I
was looking at.. We attended the football game where only a small
number of cadets attended, and unlike my time at the academy they
spent the bulk of the game at the concession stand pushing each other
throwing food on the ground again just deplorable behavior.

In addition to my first hand experience, the loss of the key personnel
with tenure of 30 years is a mystery to me. Col Medearis who I believe
represented the highest level of professionalism, discipline and
overall true character of Valley Forge Military Academy resignation
after 32 years is beyond logic. His reasons I feel where a farce to
insure he protected his pension/401K and any other agreements that he
was subject to monetarily. One who loved his career and made such an
effort to insure the principles that the founded the Academy would
only resign if he felt that they could no longer stomach the
directives he was given as Commandant of Cadets and the erosion of the
core Values. If we continue at the current rate the Academy will have
no faculty who believed in the core values, to that end I believe that
is the objective of the current administration. In addition we are all
aware of what happens if you question the current administration on
why they have made the choices you become banned from all events and
even access to the school. My family paid $50,000 in tuition for my
time at VFMA and where very lucrative donors to the Golden Sword with
endowments exceeding $30,000 over a 3 year period. So I challenge the
administration to attempt to attack me I believe $80,000 gives me the
right to walk on campus anytime I feel the need.

I understand the issues with competition for the small group of
individuals who have children that can afford $30,000 a year is
becoming ever more difficult to entice and convince that VFMA is the
right direction for their child. However if we continue to remove or
ignore the founding philosophies we are no longer a Military Academy
we have become a left wing liberal academy that will position the
school as needed to fill beds.

Until 4 years ago I was proud of the efforts I made to graduate as a
first LT, giving up my summer for Camps and NCO and OCS processes.
Today I sit pondering what will become of the institution that set the
core values that I live my life today.  Sadly I believe VFMA will
continue to slide away from the values that positioned the school to
have the reputation it does today and become just another prep school
on the main line.

My resignation will most likely have no effect on the activities that
surround the school today but for me the opportunity to express my
concerns and overall dismay regarding my Alma Mater is enough and I
hope more alumni have the courage to express their discord as well.

  Regards,
William C Vain