[Infowarrior] - Gellman recounts the Purdue security fiasco

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Oct 8 13:47:43 CDT 2015

Scholarship, Security and ‘Spillage’ on Campus
By Barton Gellman

This is an adventure in classified speech at an academic conference. If you know a story like it on another campus, please get in touch. Send an email or use my secure contacts for greater privacy.

On September 24 I gave a keynote presentation at Purdue University about the NSA, Edward Snowden, and national security journalism in the age of surveillance. It was part of the excellent Dawn or Doom colloquium, which I greatly enjoyed. The organizers live-streamed my talk and promised to provide me with a permalink to share.

After unexplained delays, I received a terse email from the university last week. Upon advice of counsel, it said, Purdue “will not be able to publish your particular video” and will not be sending me a copy. The conference hosts, once warm and hospitable, stopped replying to my emails and telephone calls. I don’t hold it against them. Very likely they are under lockdown by spokesmen and lawyers.

Naturally, all this piqued my curiosity. With the help of my colleague Sam Adler-Bell, I think I have pieced together most of the story...

< - >

https://medium.com/@tcfdotorg/scholarship-security-and-spillage-on-campus-15aa8fb8f38

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.