[Infowarrior] - House Of Representatives Bans Spotify Because P2P Tech Must Be Evil!!

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Feb 2 10:31:50 CST 2013

House Of Representatives Bans Spotify Because P2P Tech Must Be Evil!!

from the clueless-congress dept

Hey look, here's a story on which we at Techdirt actually agree with the RIAA. Shocking, I know. It appears that, for reasons that are unclear to just about everyone, the IT folks in the House of Representatives have banned the use of the perfectly legal and authorized music service Spotify because it's P2P technology. According to a report at Politico:

"To help protect House data, our IT policy generally prohibits the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) technologies while operating within the secure network," a spokesman for the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer told POLITICO this week. "While Spotify is currently not authorized, the CAO has and will continue to work with outside vendors to enable the popular services that improve member communication capabilities."

Not surprisingly, this has led to complaints from Spotify, but also from the RIAA, which finds the whole thing preposterous:

< - >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130201/13333221858/house-representatives-bans-spotify-because-p2p-tech-must-be-evil.shtml