[Infowarrior] - 60 Minutes' on Snowden and NSA....

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Dec 15 21:51:34 CST 2013

CBS did a 2-segment piece on '60 Minutes' about Snowden and NSA this evening. It wss a totally one-sided regurgitation of the usual talking points, with the segments morphing from discussing Snowden's actions to how NSA will save us from cybergeddon and needs to keep its various authorities & capabilities.

Regardless of your views on the underlying issues, the complete lack of any contrary interviews/viewpoints during these segments was, in my view, irresponsible journalism by CBS, and essentially made tonight's 'story' nothing more than a timely piece of glorified USG cheerleading masquerading as "journalism."

More @ http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nsa-speaks-out-on-snowden-spying/

"Journalism" by CBS is something of an oxymoron in 2013, it seems.

Side Note: The questionable "intelligence review" commission presents its report to the White House soon, which likely will set off more public discussions about NSA and surveillance activities. Thus, I suspect the timing of this CBS piece -- and the surprising seniority and 'exclusivity' of both interviewees and venues provided by NSA is not entirely coincidental.