[Infowarrior] - The age of invention is over

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Dec 15 18:57:44 CST 2013

The age of invention is over
December 15, 2013

http://bitar.io/the-age-of-invention-is-over/

The age of invention is over. What new companies have really put forth a new invention on the market? Look closely enough, and you’ll see that the most successful products and startups today are not original ideas, but iterations on previous ideas. Not much is new. Everything is just an upgrade of the old. Every new generation of people refuse to live by the rules and ideas of previous generations, and are therefore always in effort to replace what they did not have any say-so in. The “old generations”, whether of people or products, have not been brought up to the standards of today, and when the new steps in and shows them how it should be done, we call this disrupting.

Uber disrupted the taxi industry.
Chipotle disrupted the fast food industry
Tesla disrupted the automobile industry
Nest disrupted the thermostat industry
Simple disrupted the banking industry
iPhone disrupted the mobile phone industry
Tuft & Needle is disrupting the mattress industry
Robinhood.io is disrupting the stock trade industry

None is new; all is just new and improved iteration. Rather than creating a new tool or concept that will needlessly make life easier, disrupt something that already exists but can be done better.