[Infowarrior] - White Hat Perspective on Cyber Security & Other Internet Issues

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Oct 9 16:10:57 CDT 2012

The Greater Washington Chapter of the Internet Society
&
HacDC

Invite you to attend a panel discussion about:

A White Hat Perspective on Cyber Security & Other Internet Issues

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM (EDT)

Washington, DC

The term hacker is often used pejoratively. In reality, a hacker is someone who finds a clever and creative solution to a programming problem. Hacker culture typically advocates free and open source software and community based thinking. Malevolent hackers or “crackers” or “black hats”, are the ones that we need to worry about. Thus, the distinction between white hat and black hat hackers. Recently, many white hat hackers convened in Las Vegas for the annual DefCon, where they learned about the latest in cybersecurity hacking. Two of our panelists were there.

HacDC is a community organization in DC dedicated to the collaborative use of technology. HacDC is part of a global trend in amateur engineering clubs that have come to be known as “hackerspaces.” Centered on physical locations that function as shared workshops, these spaces support “makers” whose work bridges the realms of art and technology and who share a passion for putting old technology to new and creative purposes.

Join us at HacDC for a spirited discussion about Cyber Security and other pressing Internet Issues. Learn more about security from the hacker’s point of view.  How do their goals and values affect their perspectives, and how does this impact the Internet?

http://white-hat.eventbrite.com/