[Infowarrior] - Revolving Door: US Copyright Office General Counsel Becomes IFPI Lobbyist

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Aug 30 15:50:36 CDT 2012

Revolving Door: US Copyright Office General Counsel Becomes IFPI Lobbyist

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120830/02135620215/revolving-door-us-copyright-office-general-counsel-becomes-ifpi-lobbyist.shtml

We've pointed out over and over again that the revolving door between the government and the big copyright maximalists represents a broken system -- and we're seeing it yet again. David Carson, the long time General Counsel of the US Copyright Office has announced that he's leaving that job... to become head of global legal policy for the IFPI (the international version of the RIAA). His role will be to "coordinate the recorded music industry's legal policy strategy worldwide." Think he'll have undue influence with the US Copyright Office? He's only been in General Counsel of the US Copyright Office for 15 years. Of course, the IP-Watch story linked above shows how the revolving door works both ways. In effect, Carson is replacing Shira Perlmutter, who left the IFPI role earlier this year... to become the chief policy advisor on IP issues for the US Patent and Trademark Office.