[Infowarrior] - GoDaddy and Transfer Issues

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Dec 26 14:33:16 CST 2011

(c/o jh)

GoDaddy and Transfer Issues
http://community.namecheap.com/blog/2011/12/26/godaddy-transfer-update/
Posted by Tamar, Namecheap Community Manager on 26th December 2011

We wanted to give our customers a quick update on the status of domain
transfers associated with one of our competitors, GoDaddy.

First, we’re very sorry that some of you in the past 24 hours have
experienced delays in transferring domains over to us.

As many customers have recently complained of transfer issues, we
suspect that this competitor is thwarting efforts to transfer domains
away from them.

Specifically, GoDaddy appears to be returning incomplete WHOIS
information to Namecheap, delaying the transfer process. This practice
is against ICANN rules.

We at Namecheap believe that this action speaks volumes about the
impact that informed customers are having on GoDaddy’s business.

It’s a shame that GoDaddy feels they have to block their (former)
customers from voting with their dollars. We can only guess that at
GoDaddy, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Don’t worry – each and every transfer request will be processed
manually by our team. Every request will go through. We won’t rest
until everyone who wants to join the Namecheap family can do so!