[Infowarrior] - GPU-Assisted Malware

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Sep 27 11:54:45 CDT 2010

Abstract:

Malware writers constantly seek new methods to obfus- cate their code so as to evade detection by virus scanners. Two code-armoring techniques that pose significant chal- lenges to existing malicious-code detection and analysis systems are unpacking and run-time polymorphism. In this paper, we demonstrate how malware can increase its ro- bustness against detection by taking advantage of the ubiq- uitous Graphics Processing Unit. We have designed and implemented unpacking and run-time polymorphism for a GPU, and tested them using existing graphics hardware. We also discuss how upcoming GPU features can be utilized to build even more robust, evasive, and functional malware.

http://dcs.ics.forth.gr/Activities/papers/gpumalware.malware10.pdf