[Infowarrior] - Hello MPAA, I'm a Pirate

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Sep 14 19:54:45 CDT 2010

http://attrition.org/security/rant/piracy/

Hello MPAA, I'm a Pirate
Tue Sep 14 18:00:54 CDT 2010
jericho

Dear Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA),

That's right, I am one of those dastardly pirates that engages in Peer-to-Peer (P2P) theft, downloading movies when so inclined. I do not do it because I have a fascination with breaking the law, nor am I struggling for money. I do it because it is convenient, and the movie industry has done an incredibly poor job meeting consumer demands, most notably mine. Until the movie industry provides more reasonable and convenient services, I will continue to break the law. But wait MPAA, there is a silver lining! First, I will write a check for the movies I pirated, based on the value I perceive the viewing to be worth. Second, I will stop my evil ways if your organization is dissolved.

Rather than seeking innovative ways to deliver content in a manner that financially benefits the industry you 'protect', you resort to suing individuals, resort to scare tactics, peddle bogus statistics all the while violating copyright law yourselves. Cries of piracy hurting the movie industry and absurd claims of losing billions of dollars come in the midst of a record year in 2007, record sales in 2008 and $10 billion record breaking year in 2009. Further, cries of a hurting industry while increasing ticket prices by 50% over the last 10 years, well above cost of living increases, point to a flawed business model if any part of the industry is really hurting.

[..]