[Infowarrior] - iPad's horrible roll-out plan

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Mar 29 14:43:38 UTC 2010

Call me crazy but I think there's controlling a roll-out to generate
buzz, and controlling a roll-out to generate customer anger.  While
I'm not getting an iPad, I would be incensed if I was forced to drive
all over town because the stores only had such a limited number of
products for sale *on purpose.*   Way to go, Apple:  hype the hell out
of a product, and end up annoying customers by making them jump
through all sorts of hoops to get them.

Imagine if this wasn't an iPad, but Cabbage Patch Dolls (1980s) or
Tickle-Me-Elmo (1990s) ... you'd see riots breaking out all over
retail America   -rick

Source: http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/03/28/apple.plans.limited.third.party.ipad.sales/

An escaped playbook from Best Buy has confirmed that the retailer will
aggressively promote its Best Buy iPad launch but carry only a low
supply. Each shop will have four demo iPads, and Best Buy plans to
make the iPad the front cover item for its April 11th flyer
nationwide, even for stores where the iPad won't be sold; TUAW hears
customers will be steered to any nearby Best Buy that might be
carrying stock.

Supply, however, will be tightly rationed. Each participating store
should have no more than 15 iPads in stock, split equally between the
different capacities. Another 15 should arrive on April 11th, but
Apple may tell Best Buy before launch day that it doesn't have
replacements. Stores may be asked to hold back a portion of their
initial supply to prevent disappointments when customers come in after
the flyer appears.

No online sales will be available, at least initially, but each
physical store will also be carrying most of the iPad-specific
accessories as they become available.

More@ http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/27/exclusive-best-buy-playbook-for-ipad-leaked-quantities-to-be-e/