[Infowarrior] - Open Source and Open Standards under Threat in Europe

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Mar 29 14:37:17 UTC 2010

Open Source and Open Standards under Threat in Europe
March 29, 2010

Posted by: Glyn Moody

Open source is under attack in Europe. Not openly or obviously, but in
the background, behind closed doors. The battleground is the imminent
Digital Agenda for Europe, due to be unveiled by the European
Commission in a month's time, and which defines the overall framework
for Europe's digital policy. According to people with good contacts to
the politicians and bureaucrats drawing up the Agenda, Microsoft is
lobbying hard to ensure that open standards and open source are
excluded from that policy - and is on the brink of succeeding in that
aim.

We need to get as many people as possible writing to the key
Commissioners *now* if we are to stop them. Details of who to write to
are given below. To help you frame things, here's some background on
what's at stake.

The battle over open source and open stan

< - >

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2878&blogid=14