[Infowarrior] - Irony Alert: Rep. Howard Berman

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Mar 13 03:25:38 UTC 2010

(The irony is, this is the same Congresscritter who in 2002 proposed
legislation to allow the entertainment industry to disable the
computers of people it believed were infringing on their products.  I
wrote about it at    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/99   -rick)

Irony Alert: Hollywood Howard Berman To Introduce 'Internet Freedom'
Bill
from the are-you-serious? dept
http://techdirt.com/articles/20100312/0129208532.shtml

Earlier this year we noted this was likely, but now it appears that
Rep. Howard Berman is getting ready to introduce an "Internet Freedom
Bill," that would limit how US companies could operate in "internet-
restricting countries." Now, we've already pointed out that it's odd
to see politicians pushing such bills when the US itself is pushing to
restrict the internet in similar ways -- but it's particularly ironic
with Berman. In supporting this new legislation, Berman notes:

He's trying to figure out "what's the most effective thing we can do
to help people in countries where the government is" seeking to
restrict Internet freedom. But, here's the thing. Howard Berman, who
literally is the Representative for (part of) Hollywood, has been a
very, very, very strong proponent of restricting internet freedoms any
chance he gets -- as long as those restrictions are part of
Hollywood's plan to prop up its business model. Berman famously
proposed letting companies hack into file sharing networks to break
them a few years back. He's also been a major proponent of turning
ISPs into copyright cops, and (of course) was actively involved in the
initial planning for ACTA. He's also sought to limit the ability for
people to access publicly funded research, claiming that he didn't
want the "N" in NIH to "stand for Napster."

Perhaps before passing legislation to try to punish other countries
for their internet restrictions, Berman should take a long hard look
in the mirror, at his own long and detailed history of supporting
internet restrictions in the US.

Separately, with the news coming out that New Zealand has just started
rolling out its own internet censoring system, it will be interesting
to see if Berman's legislation includes "friendly" countries like New
Zealand and Australia that push internet censorship.