[Infowarrior] - NYT to charge for access

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Jan 20 17:05:18 UTC 2010

January 21, 2010
The Times to Charge for Frequent Access to Its Web Site
By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/business/media/21times.html?pagewanted=print

The New York Times announced Wednesday that it intended to charge
frequent readers for access to its Web site, a step being debated
across the industry that nearly every major newspaper has so far
feared to take.

Starting in early 2011, visitors to NYTimes.com will get a certain
number of articles free every month before being asked to pay a flat
fee for unlimited access. Subscribers to the newspaper’s print edition
will receive full access to the site.

But executives of The New York Times Company said they could not yet
answer fundamental questions about the plan, like how much it would
cost or what the limit would be on free reading. They stressed that
the amount of free access could change with time, in response to
economic conditions and reader demand.

“This announcement allows us to begin the thought process that’s going
to answer so many of the questions that we all care about,” Arthur
Sulzberger Jr., the company chairman and publisher of the newspaper,
said in an interview. “We can’t get this halfway right or three-
quarters of the way right. We have to get this really, really right.”

Any changes are sure to be closely watched by publishers and other
purveyors of online content who scoffed at the notion of online
charging until advertising began to plummet in 2007, battering visions
of Internet businesses supported solely by ads. Few general-interest
publications charge now, but many newspapers and magazines are
studying whether to make the switch.

Still, publishers fear that income from digital subscriptions would
not compensate for the resulting loss of audience and advertising
revenue.

NYTimes.com is by far the most popular newspaper site in the country,
with more than 17 million readers a month in the United States,
according to Nielsen Online, and analysts say it is easily the leader
in advertising revenue, as well. That may make it better positioned
than other general-interest papers to charge — and also gives The
Times more to lose if the move backfires.

The Times Company has been studying the matter for almost a year,
searching for common ground between pro- and anti-pay camps — a debate
mirrored in dozens of media-watching blogs — and the system will not
go into effect until January 2011. Executives said they were not
bothered by the prospect of absorbing barbs for moving cautiously.

“There’s no prize for getting it quick,” said Janet L. Robinson, the
company’s president and chief executive. “There’s more of a prize for
getting it right.”

This would not be the first time the company has attempted an online
pay model. In the 1990s it charged overseas readers, and from 2005 to
2007 the newspaper’s TimesSelect service charged for access to
editorials and columns. TimesSelect attracted about 210,000
subscribers who paid $49.95 a year but it was scrapped to take
advantage of the boom in online advertising.

Company executives said the current decision was not a reaction to the
ad recession but a long-term strategy to develop new revenue.

“This is a bet, to a certain degree, on where we think the Web is
going,” Mr. Sulzberger said. “This is not going to be something that
is going to change the financial dynamics overnight.”

Two specialized papers charge already: The Wall Street Journal, which
makes certain articles accessible only to subscribers, and The
Financial Times, which allows non-paying readers to see up to 10
articles a month, a system close to what is planned by The Times.

Most readers who go to the Times site, as with other news sites, are
incidental visitors, arriving no more than once in a while through
searches and links, and many of them would be unaffected by the new
system. A much smaller number of committed readers account for the
bulk of the site visits and page views, and the essential question is
how many of them will pay to continue that habit.

Executives said the computerized subscription service must work
smoothly and communicate seamlessly with the computer systems that
handle the database of print subscribers. The Times will not use one
of the pay systems being marketed by other companies, like Journalism
Online, led by Steven Brill, or the News Corporation, instead choosing
to create the system essentially from scratch.

“There’s a lot of technical work that we need to do over the next year
to get this right,” said Martin A. Nisenholtz, the company’s senior
vice president for digital operations. “And I think if you were to
benchmark this against other, similar implementations, you would find
that a year is not excessive.”

Bill Keller, the executive editor, embraced the plan.

“It underscores the value of what we do — trustworthy, aggressively
reported professional journalism, which is an increasingly rare and
precious thing,” Mr. Keller said. “And it gives us a second way to
sustain that hard, expensive work, in addition to our healthy
advertising revenue.

Company executives would not release estimates of how many subscribers
and how much revenue an online system would attract, how many visitors
the site might lose because of it, or how much ad revenue would decline.

The Times Company looked at several approaches, including a
straightforward pay wall similar to The Journal’s; various “metered”
systems, including the one they chose; a “membership” format similar
to the one used in public broadcasting, with rewards for supporters
but little or no limit on access to the site; and a hybrid among those
options.

The approach the company took is “the one that after much research and
study we determined has the most upside in both” subscriptions and
advertising, Mr. Nisenholtz said. “We’re trying to maximize revenue.
We’re not saying we want to put this revenue stream above that revenue
stream. The goal is to maximize both revenue streams in combination.”