[Infowarrior] - TSA nominee Erroll Southers withdraws

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Jan 20 13:58:15 UTC 2010

TSA nominee Erroll Southers withdraws
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/01/tsa_nominee_erroll_southers_wi.html

Erroll Southers, President Obama's nominee to lead the Transportation
Security Administration, has withdrawn his name from consideration, a
Senate aide confirmed Wednesday.

Southers's nomination had faced fierce opposition from Republicans,
especially since revelations that he may have misled Congress about an
incident in the late 1980s involving a background check of the
boyfriend of his ex-wife.

As The Eye was the first to report in November, Southers told the
Senate that he asked a co-worker's husband who worked for the San
Diego Police Department at the time to run a background check on his
ex-wife's boyfriend.

The incident did little to stop his unanimous confirmation by the
Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. But a day
after the panel referred his nomination to the Senate, Southers told
lawmakers that he twice conducted the database searches himself,
downloaded confidential law enforcement records about the boyfriend
and then passed the information on to the police department employee.

“I was extremely excited about the opportunity to lead the
Transportation Security Administration and fulfill Secretary
Napolitano’s objective to develop it into the best organization of its
kind in the world," Southers said in a statement released by the White
House Wednesday morning. "However, it is apparent that this path has
been obstructed by political ideology. I have decided, after deep
reflection and in consultation with my family and friends to
respectfully withdraw my name from consideration for confirmation as
the assistant secretary for the TSA.

"It is clear that my nomination has become a lightning rod for those
who have chosen to push a political agenda at the risk of the safety
and security of the American people," Southers said. "This partisan
climate is unacceptable and I refuse to allow myself to remain part of
their dialogue. The TSA has important work to be done and I regret I
will not be part of their success. I would like to thank the
President, Secretary Napolitano and all of the people at the
Department of Homeland Security who worked tirelessly to successfully
move my nomination through two Senate committees during the past seven
months.”

"The President believes that Erroll Southers would have been an
excellent TSA Administrator but understands his personal decision and
the choice he has made," said White House spokesman Nicholas Shapiro.

"Southers was uniquely qualified for this job and it is with great
sadness that the President accepted Southers' withdrawal. Fortunately
the acting TSA Administrator is very able and we have a solid team of
professionals at TSA doing vital national security work to keep us
safe," Shapiro said.

Shapiro could not say when Obama might name a new TSA nominee or if
the White House will just nominate Acting Administrator Gale Rossides
to the job full-time.