[Infowarrior] - Good Luck....France Considers 'Right To Forget' Law

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jan 8 19:32:03 UTC 2010

France Considers 'Right To Forget' Law, Apparently Not Realizing The
Internet Never Forgets
Hot on the heels of France considering laws to tax successful internet
companies to try to prop up unsuccessful entertainment industry
companies, comes a report that France is also considering a special
"right to forget" law, which would allow anyone to ask that any
information about them be deleted after a certain period of time. At
first, I though that they meant content created by the person asking
for it to be deleted (like emails), but it sounds like they mean any
content about a person. So, say, if you did something embarrassing in
college, and your friends put pictures of it online, once the time
limit for the "right to forget" law kicked in, you could demand every
version of that picture be taken offline. Yeah. Like that will work.
Trying to suppress information online doesn't work, no matter what law
you put in place. I'm reminded of the convicted German murderer, who
is demanding that information on his conviction be removed from
Wikipedia under a similar type of law. All that did was call a lot
more attention to the story.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100108/0403077673.shtml