[Infowarrior] - Vatican admits what we don't about security

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jan 4 20:43:04 UTC 2010

It's nice to see SOMEONE coming out and saying that enacting Total
Security is a fantasy.   Unfortunately, here in the USA we say the
same thing, but our practices indicate our belief is to the
otherwise...we keep trying to 'raise the bar' in our quest to reach
Total Security.  --rf

Vatican admits pontiff vulnerable

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8430621.stm
The Vatican has said it is impossible to protect the Pope from
incidents like that on Thursday night, when a woman grabbed him at
Christmas Eve Mass.

Spokesman Frederico Lombardi said the Pope was regularly surrounded by
tens of thousands of people at audiences, Masses, greetings and other
events.

He said it was unthinkable to create a wall between the Pope and the
faithful.

Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi, himself recently attacked in public,
warned of "hatred and extremism".

The Pope was not injured when Susanna Maiolo, 25, hurled herself at
him in St Peter's Basilica at the Vatican but an elderly French
cardinal standing nearby, Roger Etchegaray, suffered a broken hip.

The woman, who tried to throw herself at Benedict at the same
Christmas Eve service one year ago, is now receiving psychiatric
treatment and Mr Lombardi said he thought she would be dealt with very
leniently by the Vatican.

'No hurt intended'

Father Lombardi said it was not realistic to think the Vatican could
ensure 100% security for the Pope and that security guards appeared to
have acted as quickly as possible.

ANALYSIS
David Willey, BBC News, Rome
The problem of providing effective security for the head of the Roman
Catholic Church without cutting him off from his flock is a difficult
challenge for his Vatican team of security advisers.

The Pope uses a specially built armoured vehicle covered with
bulletproof glass - the popemobile - at open-air audiences in St
Peter's Square when the weather is fine and when he goes on tour abroad.

But when he is moving about inside his own sovereign territory,
Vatican City State, he walks or travels in a normal limousine.

"It seems that they intervened at the earliest possible moment in a
situation in which zero risk cannot be achieved," he told the
Associated Press news agency.

"People want to see him up close and he's pleased to see them closely
too. A zero risk doesn't seem realistic in a situation in which
there's a direct rapport with the people."

Vatican security officials would, the spokesman added, nonetheless
review the episode and "try to learn from experience".

Mr Berlusconi, who is recovering from a violent attack in Milan
earlier in the month, spoke to Italian TV after the attack on the Pope.

"We must really fight back against all these manufacturers of lies,
extremism and hatred," he said.

It is still unclear what had motivated Ms Maiolo, who holds dual Swiss
and Italian nationality.

She told doctors she had not wanted to hurt the pontiff, Italy's La
Repubblica newspaper said in a report on its online edition.

The same paper quoted Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, archbishop of Genoa
and head of the Italian bishops' conference, as saying: "Nothing
serious happened. It was a woman who tried to greet the Holy Father."

However, French Cardinal Paul Poupard, who was with the pontiff at the
time of the incident, said it had been "definitely a threat to the
Pope".

"With hindsight, you would say greater vigilance was needed, so those
in charge of security should not let their guard drop even for a
second," he added.

The Pope is protected by a combination of Swiss Guards, Vatican police
and Italian police.

The most serious attack on a Pope in modern times was that on
Benedict's predecessor, John Paul II, who was shot and seriously
wounded by Turkish gunman Mehmet Ali Agca in 1981 as he rode in an
open jeep in the Vatican .

Full schedule

Pope Benedict delivered his traditional Christmas message at the
Vatican on Friday, appearing undaunted by the earlier incident.

As he emerged on to the balcony overlooking St Peter's Square, some
observers said the Pope seemed unsteady on his feet, but he did not
waver.

The German-born pontiff made no mention of the previous evening's
incident during his Christmas Day message and prayers.

In his sermon to the world's 1.1 billion Roman Catholics, the Pope
focused on the needy and praised the work of the Church in places like
the Philippines, Korea and Sri Lanka.

Benedict has made it known he intends to carry out in full his
schedule of engagements during the remainder of the Christmas and New
Year holidays:

• He will appear at his study window overlooking St Peter's square to
give his Angelus blessing to pilgrims at midday on Saturday

• After a repeat blessing on Sunday, he will attend a lunch with
homeless people at a canteen run by a Catholic community in
Trastevere, about 2km from the Vatican

• Next week, he will hold his customary Wednesday general audience
inside the Vatican and on Thursday he will take part in a solemn end-
of-year religious ceremony inside St Peter's

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/8430621.stm

Published: 2009/12/25 23:00:41 GMT

© BBC MMX