[Infowarrior] - TSA tries to assuage privacy concerns about full-body scans

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jan 4 20:29:08 UTC 2010

TSA tries to assuage privacy concerns about full-body scans
By Philip Rucker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, January 4, 2010; A03

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/03/AR2010010301826_pf.html#
It has come to this.

Already shoeless, beltless and waterless, more beleaguered air
passengers will be holding their legs apart, raising their arms and
effectively baring it all as they pass through U.S. airport security
checkpoints.

Add the "full-body scan" to the list of indignities that some
travelers are confronting in the post-Sept. 11, 2001, era of vigilance.

Federal authorities, working to close security gaps exposed by the
thwarted Christmas Day terrorist attack on a Detroit-bound airliner,
are multiplying the number of imaging machines at the nation's biggest
airports. The devices scan passengers' bodies and produce X-ray-like
images that can reveal objects concealed beneath clothes.

Forty units are in use at 19 airports, including Reagan National and
Baltimore-Washington International Marshall airports. The
Transportation Security Administration said it has ordered 150 more
scanners to be installed early this year and has secured funding for
an additional 300.

Passengers selected for a full-body scan can decline, but if they do,
they must submit to full-body pat-downs by a TSA officer. The
technology was introduced a couple of years ago, but U.S. airports
have been slow to install the machines, partly because of privacy
concerns raised by some members of Congress and civil liberties groups.

Seeing passengers beset by years of an ever-evolving airport drill --
at first handing over belts, cellphones and laptops for screening,
then shoes, and later, dealing with restrictions on gels and liquids
-- some activists and experts are asking how much compliance is too
much in the name of homeland security.

"The price of liberty is too high," said Kate Hanni, who as founder of
FlyersRights.org, an advocacy organization for air passengers,
shuttles regularly between her California home and Washington to lobby
Congress. Hanni said many of her group's 25,000 members are concerned
that "the full-body scanners may not catch the criminals and will
subject the rest of us to intrusive and virtual strip searches."

To others, however, the scans are not so bad, and the reason is
simple: They're virtual. Passengers walk through the machines fully
clothed; the resulting image appears on a monitor in a separate room
and conceals passengers' faces and sensitive areas.

"It covers up the dirty bits," said James Carafano, a homeland
security expert at the conservative Heritage Foundation.

"I don't think it's any different than if you go to the beach and put
on a bikini," said Brandon Macsata, who started the Association for
Airline Passenger Rights.

Critics talk as if the machines produce images that are "Playboy-
centerfold quality," said Jon Adler, head of the Federal Law
Enforcement Officers Association.

"I don't consider the full-body scanners an invasion of privacy,"
Adler said. "I think a bomb detonating on a plane is the biggest
invasion of privacy a person can experience."

Dutch security officials have said that full-body scanners could have
detected the explosives that suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab
allegedly concealed in his underwear when boarding a Northwest
Airlines flight in Amsterdam. But although the city's Schiphol Airport
operates more than a dozen such scanners, none was used to check the
Nigerian.

The Netherlands has since announced that it will require all U.S.-
bound passengers to pass through full-body screenings before boarding
flights.

And Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Sunday that full-body scanners
will be introduced in Britain's airports.

Last week, the TSA launched a public relations offensive to convince
passengers that its latest checkpoint innovation will make airports
more secure. "It's a promising technology," spokeswoman Kristen Lee
said. "It's designed to detect anomalies."

The issue is almost certain to be the subject of debate when Congress
reconvenes this month. The House approved a bill in the summer
limiting the use of full-body scanners, but the Senate has yet to take
up the matter.

Critics say expanding the use of the machines is something of a knee-
jerk reaction.

And, experts say, explosives can go undetected even in a full-body
screening if potential terrorists conceal them in body cavities.

"It's definitely not a silver bullet," Carafano said. "There's a way
to beat it. It's called a 'booty bomb,' where you actually insert the
explosive inside the human being and then you detonate the explosive
with a cellphone."

The TSA has tried to assuage privacy concerns by saying that the
digital images produced by the machines would be deleted after
passengers clear checkpoints. But critics are not reassured.

"TSA has said, 'Trust us, we've put the switch to the "off" position,'
" said Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy
Information Center. "But it's not difficult to imagine a scenario
where they might decide to put the switch to the 'on' position."

Such concerns are spreading quickly among networks of frequent fliers.
Hanni said many of her group's members, particularly women, are
"frantic" about the devices.

Some women do not want the shape of their naked bodies seen by others.
As for Hanni, she said: "I don't mind."

"I'm from California. I grew up in a family that doesn't have any
particular issues with nudity, so I really don't care if anybody sees
the outline of my body," Hanni said. "I've got nothing to hide."