[Infowarrior] - New Verisign 'Trust' seal ... so what?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Feb 24 12:30:02 UTC 2010

The firm says lots of folks sign up for their SSL service that don't
need it.  Okay, I grant them that is probably true.  But that said,
how many gullible orgs will sign up for this service that don't need
this one, either?   Frankly, the 'benefits' they list for using this
service don't exactly seem groundbreaking to me:

• Display the #1 trust mark on the Internet:
• Prove that your business is a legal entity:
• Protect visitors and your site from malware: Web site malware scan

See more below....

www.esecurityplanet.com/features/article.php/3866716

VeriSign Debuts New Online Trust Seal
By Sean Michael Kerner
February 23, 2010

< - >

"Over the last few years, we've noticed that there are companies that
don't need SSL because they're not doing transactions, but they were
purchasing an SSL certificate anyways so they could display the
VeriSign Secured Seal on their site in order to drive customer
confidence," Fran Rosch, senior vice president for authentication at
VeriSign, told InternetNews.com. "There are tens of millions of Web
sites that don't take transactions, that are information only, that
don't require SSL."
That's where the Trust Seal comes in as a scanning effort to ensure
the safety of a Web site. Rosch added that VeriSign is using a
combination of technology that it developed (including those from its
iDefense security division) along with that of a third-party vendor
that VeriSign is not naming publicly.