[Infowarrior] - Google strips Pirate Bay homepage from search results

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Oct 2 12:17:17 UTC 2009

Google strips Pirate Bay homepage from search results

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/02/google_removes_pirate_bay_homepage/

Mountain View executes DMCA takedown
By Kelly Fiveash

Posted in Music and Media, 2nd October 2009 11:36 GMT

The Pirate Bay’s homepage and seven other pages relating to the
BitTorrent tracker website have been removed from Google’s search
engine, following a DMCA complaint.

Anyone attempting to locate thepiratebay.org via Google will be
greeted with some results to access the website, but none that point
directly at its homepage.

We’ve asked Google if it could tell us more about removing some of the
site’s pages from its search engine, but at the time of writing it
hadn’t got back to us with comment.

The Pirate Bay mouthpiece, Peter Sunde - who actually quit his
position as the website’s main spokesman a few months back - asked on
his Twitter account this morning “why is 'thepiratebay.org' (the
frontpage) removed from your [Google’s] index?”

A DMCA notice at the bottom of a “thepiratebay.org” search query via
Google reveals that Mountain View has simply reacted to a takedown
request.

Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 8 result(s) from this page.
If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the
removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org,” reads a notice.

Interestingly, Microsoft’s Bing returns the correct result on its
search engine, so it’s clearly not been slapped with a similar DMCA
notice yet.

We'll update this story if Google offers us any further insight. Its
policy on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is here. ®