[Infowarrior] - WH and journo shield protections

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Oct 2 12:15:10 UTC 2009

Ahem.  Define "significant" in specific non-political, non-
overreaching, non-fishing-for-leaks terms, please.

Change we can believe in, right??    Riiiiiiight.    -rf

White House Proposes Changes in Bill Protecting Reporters’
Confidentiality
By CHARLIE SAVAGE
Published: September 30, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/01/us/01shield.html?_r=2

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has told lawmakers that it
opposes legislation that could protect reporters from being imprisoned
if they refuse to disclose confidential sources who leak material
about national security, according to several people involved with the
negotiations.

The administration this week sent to Congress sweeping revisions to a
“media shield” bill that would significantly weaken its protections
against forcing reporters to testify.

The bill includes safeguards that would require prosecutors to exhaust
other methods for finding the source of the information before
subpoenaing a reporter, and would balance investigators’ interests
with “the public interest in gathering news and maintaining the free
flow of information.”

But under the administration’s proposal, such procedures would not
apply to leaks of a matter deemed to cause “significant” harm to
national security. Moreover, judges would be instructed to be
deferential to executive branch assertions about whether a leak caused
or was likely to cause such harm, according to officials familiar with
the proposal.

The two Democratic senators who have been prime sponsors of the
legislation, Charles E. Schumer of New York and Arlen Specter of
Pennsylvania, said on Wednesday that they were disappointed by the
administration’s position.

Mr. Specter called the proposed changes “totally unacceptable,” saying
they would gut meaningful judicial review. And in a statement, Mr.
Schumer said: “The White House’s opposition to the fundamental essence
of this bill is an unexpected and significant setback. It will make it
hard to pass this legislation.”

But Ben LaBolt, a White House spokesman, called the proposed changes
appropriate and argued that the administration was making a
significant concession by accepting some judicial review. He noted
that the Bush administration had strongly opposed such a bill as an
incursion into executive power.

“The president believes the courts should have the power to review
whether administrations appropriately conclude that the disclosure of
information is necessary because maintaining confidentiality could
cause significant harm to our national security,” Mr. LaBolt said.

The administration informed Congress of its proposal after an Oval
Office meeting Monday between Mr. Obama and several top members of his
national security team, including Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.;
the F.B.I. director, Robert S. Mueller III; and Homeland Security
Secretary Janet Napolitano, according to people involved with the
negotiations. Military and intelligence officials have also expressed
concerns about the bill.

Several advocates for reporting groups reacted with dismay. They noted
that as a senator, Mr. Obama had co-sponsored an earlier version of
the “media shield” bill and that Mr. Holder had testified in favor of
such legislation.

“This is the question I would have to ask, ‘Do they really want a
bill?’ ” said Lucy Dalglish, executive director of the Reporters
Committee for Freedom of the Press. “It doesn’t appear that they do.”

Proponents of a shield law argue that it is in the public interest to
allow reporters to protect confidential sources in order to bring
important information to light. Opponents note that the unauthorized
disclosure of classified information is illegal and argue that members
of the news media should not be allowed to decide whether exposing
national security secrets is justified.

About three dozen states have some form of a reporter-shield law, Ms.
Dalglish said.

In a recent letter calling for a vote on the shield bill, Mr. Specter
said that at least 19 journalists had been subpoenaed by federal
prosecutors for information about confidential sources since 2001 and
that four had been imprisoned for refusing to comply.

Among them was Judith Miller, who as a reporter for The New York Times
was subpoenaed in connection to the Valerie Wilson C.I.A. leak case.
Prosecutors also threatened two San Francisco Chronicle reporters with
jail over reporting based on leaked grand jury information about
steroid use by professional athletes.

The House has already approved a version of the shield bill, but it
has stalled in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Mr. Specter said
lawmakers should vote the bill out and let the Obama administration,
which has not taken an official stance on the bill, deal with it openly.

“If the president wants to veto it, let him veto it,” Mr. Specter
said. “I think it is different for the president to veto a bill than
simply to pass the word from his subordinates to my subordinates that
he doesn’t like the bill.”