[Infowarrior] - REAL ID: Another state says no

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu May 14 16:01:37 UTC 2009

Senate says NO to federal REAL ID requirements
Wednesday, May 13, 2009, 8:50 PM
By Steve Walsh

http://www.missourinet.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=3DE3DA36-5056-B82A-374269B0EE2E3C30

By a vote of 32-0 the State Senate has approved HB 361 - legislation
that would have Missouri join a dozen other states in rejecting the
federal government REAL ID Act of 2005 requiring states to conform to
a federal standard for driver's licenses or identification cards.
Having previously been approved by the House, the bill now goes to
Governor Jay Nixon.

Opponents of REAL ID express privacy and constitutional concerns.
During Senate debate the question of federal government motive was
also raised. Senator Gary Nodler (R-Joplin) suggested federal
lawmakers lack the courage to anger those with constitutional
concerns, so they are forcing the states to do what Congress refuses
to do.

"You back door rather than to directly, frontally confront the issue,"
said Nodler. "Of whether we should have a national ID card."

Senator Charlie Shields (R-St. Joseph), the Senate President Pro Tem,
agrees with Nodler.

"The reason this is out there," said Shields. "Is because there was
enough objection from civil libertarians about having a national ID
that the Congress went around that and said we will make sure that we
have state IDs in all 50 states and territories that comply with the
national standard."

The currrent federal REAL ID requirements call for implementation of
the rules to begin this year, with an effective date of December,
2011. The Obama Administration has indicated, however, that the
implementation date could be delayed.