[Infowarrior] - Kindle 2 kill switches appear

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu May 14 15:36:41 UTC 2009

Kindle 2 vs Reading Disabled Students
By Meredith Filak, on May 13th, 2009

http://www.keionline.org/blogs/2009/05/13/kindle-2-vs-reading-disabled-students/

[Update, 13 May: Beginning yesterday, Random House Publishers began to
disable text-to-speech remotely. The TTS function has apparently been
remotely disabled in over 40 works so far. Affected titles include
works by Toni Morrison, Stephen King, and others. Other notable titles
include Andrew Meachem's American Lion, and five of the top ten Random
House best-sellers in the Kindle store. As a former English major, a
teacher, and a lover of books, I can't see how anyone can justify
eroding access to popular and classic literature.]

A little-known fact: in my non-IP life, I’m a bit of an education
wonk. My mother was a high school English teacher for 30 years, and I
work as a part-time SAT and Writing tutor. I specialize in working
with dyslexic, ADD/ADHD, and other reading-disabled students–and so,
on both personal and professional levels, I am appalled by the
backwards approach to equal access espoused by the Author’s Guild
during the recent Kindle 2 debacle.

While the Guild claims that they should have the right to selectively
block the text-to-speech (TTS) function on the Amazon Kindle 2—due to
the “added value” it automatically provides to their work—their
response has served to do little more than exclude, alienate, and set
back the reading-impaired community.

First, some background on the technology itself: Text-to-speech is a
function, available on almost all personal computers for several years
now, that translates written text into a computerized voice. (Put
aside those images of Stephen Hawking and Speak-N-Spells; the voices
are much softer on the ear nowadays.) The TTS function on the Kindle
translates e-books to sound. The end result is of decent quality, but
isn’t something you’d get particularly excited about.

TTS is not an audiobook. The quality is so disparate that I’d be hard-
pressed to say they’re even remotely comparable. Audiobooks are
performed and recorded by professional actors and sound technicians,
and involve great expense on the part of the publishers. They are
performance pieces, subtle, nuanced and genuinely entertaining. (The
Harry Potter audiobooks are a phenomenal example.) The Author’s Guild,
however, claims that the quality of TTS is improving so rapidlythat
someday computerized voices could be on par with, or even superior to,
professionally-acted audio books. Putting aside concerns about
concerns about (as Cory Doctorow puts it) “the plausibility of the
singularity emerging from Amazon’s text-to-speech R&D,” the claim
itself is both legally and practically very shaky.

But wait, you say. So what? Who’s affected by all this?

Well, aside from a long list of people who, for one reason or another,
cannot physically utilize books, those with text-based learning
disabilities are left out in the cold.

Reading disabilities, particularly in youth and adolescence, interfere
with nearly every aspect of education and often require prohibitively
expensive tests to formally diagnose. (In the DC metro area, a full-
spectrum learning diagnostic–often critical for securing standardized
test accommodations–can easily cost over $2,000.) Uncounted children
have to  cope daily with undiagnosed learning disabilities which
manifest as vague, nebulous “difficulties” with seemingly disparate
tasks. According to the International Dyslexia Association and
Learning Disabilities Association of America, between 4-7% of all
school-age children in the United States receive accommodation in
school for a learning disability, and 85% of those students (5%
overall) have a language-based disability. Estimates of prevalence of
language disabilities in the general population can reach as high as
an estimated 15-20% of the American population, and at least one study
has estimated that as many as one in five children is dyslexic.

Reading disabilities, because of their tangible effect on textual
performance, are usually the easiest for educators to identify.
Unfortunately, they’re also among the first (along with ADD/ADHD) to
be falsely and crassly dismissed as the hallmark of a “slow learner.”
On the contrary, reading disabilities often mask otherwise brilliant
mathematical, artistic, and analytical minds.

What most people forget is that, on a fundamental level, those with
reading disabilities process language differently than a non-disabled
reader. A student once explained his dyslexia to me with a familiar
analogy; it’s like an older student learning a new language. Dyslexia,
he told me, was like a new student translating a passage–a stop-and-go
process of read-translate-integrate, which produces a string of words
but no obvious coherent meaning. (Having taken Japanese in college, I
found the analogy painfully effective.)

For this student and many others, text is quite literally another
language. The simple option to have books read aloud to them—even by a
computer—is an enormously powerful asset to those with a whole
spectrum of difficulties, including dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, and linguistic
impairment. English as a Second Language students (whose immersion is,
often, primarily aural, and only later textual) also receive the
obvious benefits of word-sound association.

Compounding this problem is the fact that reading disabilities last a
lifetime.  In a longitudinal setting, text-to-speech offers an
invaluable resource; TTS provides continual reinforcement, even as the
subject matter or reading level changes. A Kindle with text-to-speech
could provide a dyslexic child with a lifetime of reading assistance,
opening them up to a whole world of literature and information.
College students with textual impairments could access their textbooks
in TTS format, providing a level of comprehension that they would
otherwise only be able to achieve through a private human reader. We
teach young children with technology designed to promote associations
between sounds and printed words, but too often we overlook the value
this same technology provides for adults.

But beyond the technical and educational debate, there exists a more
fundamental, compelling reason to preserve TTS technology and protect
its implementation. In the TTS debate, those with reading disabilities
face not only a challenge to their ability to utilize technology to
learn, but a fundamental challenge to their human rights as ensconced
in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Article 27 guarantees
every human being “the right freely to participate in the cultural
life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific
advancement and its benefits.”

The Author’s Guild seeks not only to prevent further cultural
participation by reading-disabled people, but also to deny them the
benefits of scientific advancement by blocking an existing technology
from performing its intended role—and doing all this while demanding
remuneration for a capability they themselves have done nothing to
promote. If this is how the Author’s Guild wishes to treat those with
reading disabilities—as freeloaders attempting to abuse the “added
value” of TTS—then I fear for the future of equal access.