[Infowarrior] - OpEd: Congress’s Torture Bubble

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed May 13 14:30:01 UTC 2009

May 13, 2009
Op-Ed Contributor
Congress’s Torture Bubble
By VICKI DIVOLL

(Vicki Divoll, a former deputy counsel to the C.I.A. Counterterrorist
Center, was the general counsel of the Senate Intelligence Committee
from 2001 to 2003. She teaches government at the United States Naval
Academy. )

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/opinion/13divoll.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

JUST four members of Congress were notified in 2002 when the Central
Intelligence Agency’s “enhanced interrogation techniques” program was
first approved and carried out, according to documents released by the
agency last week. They were Senators Bob Graham and Richard Shelby and
Representatives Porter Goss and Nancy Pelosi, then the chairmen and
ranking members of the Senate and House intelligence committees — the
so-called “Gang of Four.” Each was briefed orally and it was
understood that they were not to speak about the program with anyone,
including their colleagues on the committees.

It’s logical to ask, so what if it was only four members? If they
objected to the program, why didn’t they take steps to change it or
stop it? Maybe they should have tried. But as a practical matter,
there was very little, if anything, the Gang of Four could have done
to affect the Bush administration’s decision on the enhanced
interrogation techniques program. To stop it, they needed the whole
Congress.

The framers of the Constitution gave aggregate, not individual, powers
to the legislative branch. For the Gang of Four to have waved their
arms and yelled at mid-level C.I.A. briefers, or written harsh letters
to the president and vice president, would have been useless. Four
members do not have the ability, on their own, to bring the great
weight of the constitutional authority of Congress to bear.

There are C.I.A. “covert action” activities — like the detention and
interrogation program — that because of their significance, and risks,
require participation from both the White House and the Congressional
intelligence committees in their initiation and oversight. The
National Security Act defines covert action programs as those designed
“to influence political, economic, or military conditions abroad,
where it is intended that the role of the United States government
will not be apparent or acknowledged publicly.”

The C.I.A. is prohibited by law from conducting covert action
activities without express presidential approval — and this is not a
requirement that the agency takes lightly. The National Security Act
also requires that when the president approves a covert action program
the two Congressional intelligence committees shall be “notified.” The
committees do not have disapproval power, nor can they force changes
at that time. But the law does require the executive branch to provide
timely, written notice to the full committees — which together consist
of fewer than 40 members — of the plans.

It is unlawful for the executive branch to limit notification, as it
did here, to the Gang of Four. There is no such entity recognized in
the National Security Act. Federal law does provide, however, for
notification of fewer lawmakers than the full intelligence committees,
but only when “extraordinary circumstances affecting vital interests
of the United States” are at stake. Under those very limited
situations, the notification may be to the “Gang of Eight,” which
includes the majority and minority leadership of the House and Senate,
in addition to the intelligence committee leaders.

It should be noted that there is a legal argument that the
interrogation program was merely foreign intelligence “collection,”
and not “covert action” at all, because it was used to elicit
information that already existed in the minds of the detainees. In
that case, there is no exception in the law for Gangs of Four or
Eight, and every member of the two committees should have been notified.

What it boils down to is this: many of the laws mandating
Congressional notification of covert action programs were enacted
after the Senate’s Church Committee hearings in the late 1970s had
revealed widespread abuses by the intelligence agencies domestically
and overseas. The House and Senate intelligence committees — created
at that time — were designed to be the “eyes and ears” of the full
Congress on significant intelligence activities. These committees were
entrusted with the faith of the American people to oversee aggressive
intelligence operations done in all of our names, and to ensure that
they are necessary, effective and consistent with American laws and
values.

But the narrow Gang of Eight exception, or worse, the Gang of Four,
has swallowed up the notification rule. This is a trend that began
before the Bush administration, and the types of programs about which
the Church Committee was most concerned now receive the least
oversight — in many cases, no oversight — by Congress. It is
reasonable for us to wonder how many other covert action programs the
Bush administration kept from the committees.

One might ask whether it was just too risky to share information about
the interrogation program with so many members of Congress. Isn’t four
better than 40, if we must keep this secret? It is true that the Gang
of Eight exception was included in the law to give some flexibility,
in a subset of cases, to the executive branch to limit the number of
legislators who receive a notification, at least initially. Sometimes,
for example, if an operation is imminent — like the capture of an al
Qaeda leader — short-term security may require it to be held very
closely.

But there is nothing in the legislative history of the Gang of Eight
exception that supports the use made of it by the Bush administration
— to shield, indefinitely, a politically controversial program from
Congressional scrutiny. The exception has been abused to the point
where it no longer has meaning, and Congress should examine whether it
should be clarified or even eliminated.

If we do keep it, Congress should spell out in detail the very limited
circumstances in which a Gang of Eight briefing may be given, and
permit such secrecy for only a limited time. Only short-term
operational security — not a controversial policy choice — should
justify a temporary close hold.

Of course, the real reason that notifying four members of Congress was
better than 40 to the Bush White House is crystal-clear — to eliminate
political pushback. Check the box that Congress was informed just in
case, someday, the program becomes public and things get rough. But do
so in a way that the legislative branch is not in a position to cause
any trouble.

In Article I of the Constitution, the framers gave Congress two
extraordinary powers over the executive branch — the power of the
purse and the power to make laws. It is unconstitutional for the
executive branch to spend one dime on a program for which Congress has
not appropriated funds. And if Congress passes a law forbidding the
executive branch from engaging in an activity, it must stop, or people
go to jail.

But four members cannot stop financing and ban activities on their own
— that takes the whole Congress. So what might the four have done?
They could have demanded that the full committees receive the
briefings and that more information be provided. If the White House
objected, they could have told their colleagues anyway. The committees
then could have put a classified budget provision in the intelligence
authorization bill for fiscal year 2003 cutting off money for the
program, or delineating how the C.I.A. must treat detainees.

The speech and debate clause of the Constitution shields senators and
representatives from civil and criminal liability in the performance
of their legislative duties. It would have protected those members if
they had decided to march down to the House or Senate floor and
denounce the Bush administration for engaging in torture, though that
approach not only could have harmed C.I.A. operations, but also surely
would have been political suicide.

But would the full committees — or even the full Congress — have taken
action to stop the enhanced interrogation program if they had been
informed of it in 2002? Admittedly, the memory of 9/11 was very raw
then and we cannot know if things would have turned out differently.

We do know, however, that the full committees weren’t briefed on the
C.I.A. detention and interrogation program until 2006, on the same day
that the program was made public by President George W. Bush. Since
then, the committees have tried, so far without success, to amend
federal law to hold the C.I.A. to the same strict interrogation
standards for military intelligence collection spelled out in the Army
Field Manual.

Even if the results had been the same, we would now at least have the
cold comfort of knowing that our constitutional system of checks and
balances had been put into play before a program that risked our
fundamental values was carried out on our behalf. The framers of the
Constitution never intended for small numbers of legislators to be
culled from Congress and expected to act as a check on the excesses of
the executive.