[Infowarrior] - Cyber-Command May Help Protect Civilian Networks

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu May 7 14:34:17 UTC 2009

Cyber-Command May Help Protect Civilian Networks

By Ellen Nakashima
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 6, 2009

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/05/AR2009050504342_pf.html

The Pentagon is considering whether to create a new cyber-command that
would oversee government efforts to protect the military's computer
networks and would also assist in protecting the civilian government
networks, the head of the National Security Agency said yesterday.

The new command would be headquartered at Fort Meade, the NSA's
director, Lt. Gen. Keith B. Alexander, told the House Armed Services
terrorism subcommittee.

Alexander, who is a front-runner to assume control of the command if
it is created, said its focus would be to better protect the U.S.
military's computers by marrying the offensive and defensive
capabilities of the military and the NSA.

Through the command, the NSA would also provide technical support to
the Department of Homeland Security, which is in charge of protecting
civilian networks and helps safeguard the energy grid and other
critical infrastructure from cyber-attack, Alexander said.

He stressed that the NSA does not want to run or operate the civilian
networks, but help Homeland Security improve its efforts.

"So if we develop something we're going to use for the Defense
Department, it makes no sense for [Homeland Security] to develop the
same thing," he said in a short interview after the hearing. "They can
leverage it . . . We have great technical people. We can provide them
the support."

His remarks come as the White House is preparing to release a report
based on a review of the government's cyber-security initiatives. The
cyber-command idea was raised in a letter last year by then-Director
of National Intelligence Mike McConnell to Defense Secretary Robert M.
Gates.

As proposed by the Pentagon, the command would fall under the U.S.
Strategic Command, which is tasked with defending against attacks on
vital interests.

The NSA, which drew fire for its role in the Bush administration's
program to monitor without a warrant Americans' e-mails and phone
calls, has "phenomenal depth and expertise far beyond what is there at
DHS," said Amit Yoran, a former top DHS cyber-security official now in
the private sector.

But Yoran cautioned that the effort must be transparent. "DHS needs to
be very, very cautious about its participation in a program like that
because you could fundamentally erode the trust DHS needs in order to
be successful in its broader security mission."

Any effort involving the NSA that goes beyond protecting the military
networks requires careful legal analysis, he said.

Alexander said a host of questions must be resolved for the military
and intelligence community to broaden their partnerships with other
entities. "What is the framework for sharing threat signatures that
are classified? How do we do it at network speed so that it's
defensible? What's that legal framework and what's that operational
framework? Those are areas that technically are easier to do than to
set the legal framework up."

Already, he said, DHS officials have been invited to see how the NSA
runs its cyber-security, he said. The idea would be to formalize that
partnership.

"We could say, 'Here's the path we're going down,' " he said. "They
can choose their own path, but at least they know one that's been
tried and the problems and issues we've had."

To truly address the cyber-threat, the military must boost its
partnership with the private sector as well as with DHS, he said at
the hearing.

But the path forward has obstacles, he acknowledged. Say the NSA
discovers a malicious computer code that an adversary is using, he
said. If the government shares that classified information with, say,
the antivirus industry, "how do we ensure that it's not given out so
widely that our adversaries have it?" he said.

Post a Comment