[Infowarrior] - Cyberpanic: It Sells

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Apr 29 12:44:51 UTC 2009

Cyberpanic: It Sells

     * By Sharon Weinberger
     * April 28, 2009  |

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/04/cyberpanic-it-sells/

If you are the kind of person who isn’t going to buy bacon because of
the swine flu scare, then you should definitely not read up on the
latest story on cyber threats to national security, at least not if
you want to avoid trashing all of your tech gear.

To the cynic this is the government-industrial complex at its worst:
federal bureaucracies doing their best to jockey for the most
resources and authorities; and defense contractors doing their best to
sell products and services to the government. That system isn’t going
to change and I could argue that on a fundamental level it shouldn’t.

What we should be concerned about is that although cyber threats have
been an issue for decades, all the president’s horses and all of Wall
Street’s men still haven’t produced a national information
infrastructure that can withstand a hatchet, much less a malicious
attack by a determined adversary.

Information warfare pioneer and impresario Winn Schwartau demonstrated
just how little progress we have made in this arena in a recent
briefing to a large audience of military and intelligence types. At
the end of the briefing, as everyone was about to congratulate him on
a job well done, he revealed that the deep, insightful briefing he had
just delivered was ten years old. He’d recycled it because the
problems of 1998 still existed in 2008.

For the more technically inclined, there is my friend Gunnar
Peterson’s graphic that illustrates how cyber threat vectors have
evolved over the years, while defenses . . . not so much. The system
isn’t going to change but it doesn’t have to. The bottom line is that
there are still plenty of ways to acquire a lot of bureaucratic power
and make a lot of money actually defending government or national
networks. That we continue to do the same thing over and over again is
a reflection of both governmental and commercial laziness.

Given that, during a period of significant economic turmoil, we are
about to drop $17 billion dollars on improving the nation’s cyber
security capabilities, wouldn’t it be smart if we did so in a fashion
totally unlike what we’ve been doing to date?A real cyber security
capability would start out by embracing and co-opting the government-
contractor system to get what we need, not the tired and failed
solutions of the past. Insist on comprehensive solutions and
deliverables that are demonstrably functional, not simply hardware and
software glued together with buzz-words.

We could determine the best solutions to pursue if we injected
external thinking - and a lot of it - into the debate. There is
nothing new about cyber-based threats; there is nothing secret about
what external powers are doing to government networks. Keeping the
development of solutions secret made sense when the problem was atomic
in nature and the government had more or less a monopoly on people
with the physics chops.

The number of people who know computer security outside of government
today is several orders of magnitude larger than the number of
civilian scientists who could have built an atomic bomb during the
cold war. Tap all the expertise you can because the other side is, and
on most days they’re winning. Finally, break out of the “legacy
futures” mindset.

We should respect the knowledge and service of our predecessors, but
anyone who speaks in throw-back metaphors and spent a lot of time
preparing for an attack through the Fulda Gap is only ever going to
offer you a digital Maginot Line for a solution.

There are serious problems associated with our national information
infrastructure and real threats to it exist, but we are not going to
solve these problems effectively or in a timely fashion by recycling
rumor and pimping hyperbole.

– Michael Tanji, cross-posted at Half of the Spear