[Infowarrior] - NSA Chief to Head New Cyber Command

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 24 22:12:01 UTC 2009

Gates to Nominate NSA Chief to Head New Cyber Command
By SIOBHAN GORMAN

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124060266381953839.html

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates plans to nominate the
director of the National Security Agency to head a new Pentagon Cyber
Command, which will coordinate computer-network defense and direct
U.S. cyber-attack operations, according to a draft memo by Mr. Gates.

The move comes amid rising concern in the government about attacks on
U.S. networks. The command will run military cybersecurity operations
and provide support to civil authorities, according to the memo
reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

NSA Director Keith Alexander, a three-star general, is expected to
earn a fourth star when he moves to his new job at the Cyber Command.
The memo doesn't state that directly, but says that his deputy at the
new command will be of a three-star rank. It isn't clear who will
succeed him at the NSA.

The Department of Homeland Security is charged with securing the
government's nonmilitary networks, and cybersecurity experts said the
Obama administration will have to better define the extent of this
military support to Homeland Security. "It's a fine line" between
providing needed technical expertise to support federal agencies
improving their own security and deeper, more invasive programs, said
Amit Yoran, a former senior cybersecurity official at the Homeland
Security Department.

The new command is necessary, the memo says, because "our increasing
dependency on cyberspace, alongside a growing array of cyber threats
and vulnerabilities, adds a new element of risk to our national
security." At least initially, it will be part of U.S. Strategic
Command, which is currently responsible for securing the military's
networks and waging attacks on the Internet.

An announcement of the new command is expected after the Obama
administration finishes its recommendations for cybersecurity policy,
which could come as soon as next week.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said Mr. Gates is "planning to make
changes to our command structure to better reflect the increasing
threat posed by cyber warfare," but "we have nothing to announce at
this time." The NSA referred calls to the Pentagon.

Mr. Morrell said cybersecurity is a major priority for Mr. Gates and
his 2010 budget proposal calls for hiring hundreds more cybersecurity
experts.

Gen. Alexander sought to quell concerns about NSA's role in domestic
cybersecurity in a speech Tuesday at a computer-security conference in
San Francisco.

"We need to dispel the rumors," he said, adding that NSA didn't want
to run all the government's cybersecurity operations but would help
Homeland Security secure government civilian networks. NSA has
"tremendous technical capabilities," he said. "What we need to do now
is learn how to use that."

Gen. Alexander also catalogued a few of the "things that are broken"
in the government's efforts to protect its networks. The government
can't monitor intrusions on its networks in a timely manner. It
detects compromises of private-sector networks but sometimes can't
disclose the problem because its information is classified.

The new command will be located in Maryland at Fort Meade, which is
home to the NSA's headquarters just outside of Washington. It will
open by October, according to the memo, and will be at full strength
the following year.

Write to Siobhan Gorman at siobhan.gorman at wsj.com

Carson T. Checketts
carsonchecketts at mac.com