[Infowarrior] - DVD Copying Case: Why You Should Care

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 24 20:40:44 UTC 2009

DVD Copying Case: Why You Should Care

Christopher Breen, Macworld.com
Apr 24, 2009 3:40 pm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/163821/dvd_copying_case_why_you_should_care.html

RealNetworks and the major movie studios are gathering in San
Francisco's U.S. District Court on Friday to, possibly, determine the
fate of DVD copying.

RealNetworks would like to sell its $30 RealDVD application--an
application that allows consumers to back up commercial DVDs to their
computers' hard drive for archival purposes. (These back up copies are
still protected and can't be burned to DVD.) The movie industry wants
to maintain control of its content and argues that RealNetworks has
breached a license to use CSS encryption (the form of copy-protection
found on commercial DVDs) and is in violation of the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act. The Motion Picture Association of America
(MPAA) won a temporary injunction in October that prevents
RealNetworks from selling RealDVD.)

While this may result in a narrow ruling--RealNetworks did or did not
breach its CSS license--it has broad implications for the future of
media distribution and copyright. The movie industry, like the music
industry before it, wants complete control over its content and,
therefore, hopes RealNetworks takes the fall. If digital copies must
be made, they will be provided, at extra expense, by the movie
companies in the form of special edition DVDs that contain bonus
digital copies which can be played on computers and portable media
devices such as the iPod. Or, of course, consumers are welcome to
purchase digital copies directly from online retailers such as
Amazon.com and the iTunes Store.

Unfortunately for the movie industry, that wall has already been
breached. California-based Kaleidescape, makers of high-end media
players, were sued by the DVD Copy Control Association (DCCA) over the
company's high-end media systems that can archive commercial DVDs to a
hard drive. After a seven-day trial in 2007, Kaleidescape was judged
to be in full compliance with the DCCA's encryption license.
RealNetworks is suggesting that if Kaleidescape can do it, why not them?

A less compelling argument, but one RealNetworks representatives might
want to mention when it's the company's turn to stand before the
judge, is that this train left the station long ago. Software to
remove copy protection from commercial DVDs has been around for more
than five years. A Google search (or search of Macworld.com, for that
matter) will provide links to such software that's free and not
terribly difficult to use. And, unlike RealDVD, these applications
completely strip copy-protection from DVDs. If someone were really
interested in pirating and distributing the contents of commercial
DVDs, RealDVD would not be the way to do it.

Fair Use advocates might also argue that there are certain conditions
under which archival copies are allowed and, therefore, technology
must exist to create such copies. Those supporting the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act might counter that the DMCA trumps Fair Use.

And that's what makes this case so important and interesting--once you
purchase a hunk of media, is it or is it not yours to do with as you
legally please? I fear, however, that we won't learn the answer from
this trial. I suspect that one reason we continue to see cases that
focus on narrow issues such as whether Company X breached License Y is
that no one really wants a final judgment on Fair Use versus the DMCA.
There's a lot at stake.

If Fair Use triumphs, the media companies fear they'll go out of
business because their wares will be pirated from one end of the world
to the other. And if the DMCA wins the day, the Fair Use crowd
believes they'll be ground under The Man's heel.

Will one San Francisco judge be willing to dip a toe in this legal
morass?

In the case of Kaleidescape v. DCCA it's happened before. I, for one,
hope to see it happen again. My archived copy of Mary Poppins depends
on it.