[Infowarrior] - On Macs And Malware

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Apr 21 19:44:51 UTC 2009

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2009/04/on_macs_and_mal.html

On Macs And Malware

Posted by: Arik Hesseldahl on April 21

Windows apologists hate being reminded that their platform of choice
has long been rife with security problems, and that relatively
speaking, the Mac suffers less from these problems.

I was reminded of this in spades in recent days furious comments on
last week’s column and emails from Windows fans. Here’s a sample from
a reader known as Robert: “NO NEED FOR ANTI-VIRUS ON A MAC??!!! Are
you serious? I can’t believe I just read that…”

Yes Robert. You did read it. And I meant it, because I’m living proof
that Mac user can exist happily without using anti-virus software on
their computer, and I have done so for about a decade. Now there are
some caveats to that statement. First off circumstances can change. A
very scary new threat could emerge on the Mac tomorrow that sends
people like me running to the near security software vendor, credit
card in hand. And there are certain scenarios where it makes sense to
use anti-virus or anti-malware protection on you Mac. I’ll get to
those scenarios presently. But first, after the jump, let me tell out
about the last time I saw a Mac virus.

I remember very well the last time I experienced malware of any kind
on a Mac: It was in the summer of 1998. I worked at a now-defunct
trade publication called Internet World, where I was required to use
an IBM ThinkPad running Windows 95. To this day I remember this
machine as the very best Windows computer I have ever used, but I
digress.

A guy in the art department – the art department was all Macs,
naturally – had copied some files for me. One was a Quicktime file of
the fan-made Star Wars parody film Troops, which had been making the
rounds. He copied it to an Iomega Zip Disk which I promptly took home.
This disk was one I used frequently for sharing files around my house.

As I later learned, this disk picked up an infection at the office.
(The "Troops" file had nothing to do with it.) It was popularly known
as theAutostart 9805 worm, also known as the Hong Kong virus, and
having jumped from the art guy’s machine to my Zip disk, it jumped
next to my machine at home, a PowerMac 6500/250 running Mac OS 8.1,
and soon as that same disk was used to share files around the house,
had spread to other Macs in the house, and from there to Macs outside
our home after sharing other disks.

Once I discovered the infection I ran an application called
WormScanner to eliminate it, and then I thoroughly scanned all the
affected machines for any other known viruses. There weren’t any. The
damage was minimal: A few files were corrupted, and I blew a Saturday
night running virus scans instead of doing something fun. But that was
it.

That was 11 years ago. Since moving to Mac OS X in 2001 I haven’t
bothered with anti-virus software because broadly speaking, there
hasn’t been anything for a reasonably cautious Mac users to worry
about. The few threats that have materialized have for the most part
been Trojans.

In the universe of computer malware a Trojan, is a very specific kind
of threat that is different from either a computer virus or a worm. A
virus is something your computer catches, usually via contact with
infected media, like a CD, USB drive, external drive, floppy disk, and
sometimes it’s attached to a program or file. A worm is a type of
virus that tends to spread itself via network connections, and so
doesn’t need to be passed actively by users on infected media.

A Trojan – the name is borrowed from the Trojan Horse of Greek
mythology -- is something else: It’s a bad program that is designed to
masquerade as something else, usually something you think you want.
It’s introduced to the target system by way of the user actively
installing it after having been fooled into doing so.

Trojans are the types of malware most often seen for the Mac, and so
when Macs get infected with malware, it means that the user of the
target machine has been tricked into thinking they were installing
something else. Sometimes Trojans can be made to look like documents
and sent as attachments in email.

One Trojan for the Mac I remember from about 2005 was one that
masqueraded as a Dashboard Widget, but was really a proof-of-concept,
meant to demonstrate the potential vulnerability.

Another, called OSX.RSPlugA surfaced in 2007 was spotted in the wild
in 2007 being served by 65 porn sites. Visitors to said site would
click on a link to a “video” only to be told they didn’t have the
latest version of some video software, and were then asked if they
wanted the latest version, and were presented with a link. Instead of
new video software and a naughty clip they got a program, which once
installed changed the target machine’s network settings. Wired’s Ryan
Singel covered the outbreak here and here. Among the other things the
Trojan could do: If you tried to visit the Web site of your bank or
credit card company, your browser session would be intercepted so that
your user name and password could be captured as you typed them in.
Scary? Yes. Widespread? No.

The RSPlug Trojan is still around and has morphed into new variants.
Security software firm Sophos found an interesting case of a variant
called RSPlug.F pretending to be a new HD video program. (As if
Quicktime plus Perian weren’t enough….)

More recently, a new Trojan has been seen on BitTorrent file-sharing
networks attached to pirated versions of Mac software like iWork and
Adobe Photoshop CS4. As reported by Ars Technica. This Trojan, known
as the iServices Trojan, joined targeted Macs into a botnet – meaning
that many compromised machines can be controlled remotely in order to
carry out malicious actions as a group. Sometimes they’re used to
execute distributed denial of service attacks against Web sites by
overwhelming the targeted site’s Web server with constant requests for
attention. Other times botnets are used to convey large volumes of
email spam. It’s not known exactly how many Macs were assembled into
this botnet, though Intego, a company that sells security software for
the Mac said that some 20,000 people had downloaded infected versions
of iWork and Photoshop in January. Some interesting technical details
about it, from someone whose machine was part of the botnet can be
found here.

The largest known botnet, not surprisingly made up of compromised
Windows machines, is thought to be the one created by the Conficker
Worm, which has been spotted on more than 4 million individual IP
addresses.

What this means to me — and here is the caveat that I promised above —
is this: If you’re the kind of person who’s likely to trust a porn
site to serve up legitimate copies of video software, or who trusts
pirated versions of commercial software found on file-sharing
networks, then by all means, download and install whatever anti-
malware program you feel best meets your needs for your Mac.
Personally I don’t fit either profile and so I’ll continue on my merry
but cautious way.

I’m generally pretty careful about what I put on my machine. Before
downloading and installing shareware, I vet it a little first, and
check its reputation via sites like Macupdate.com or Versiontracker.

Many pundits have been saying that the Mac it’s “only a matter of
time” before a serious security threat emerges for the Mac and shocks
people like me out of their complacency.

There have been many points when this was supposed to happen: As a
result of the transition from OS 9 to the Unix-based OS X, and the
reason was all the underlying security vulnerabilities lurking within
the BSD Unix on which it is based. It didn’t happen. Then there was
the switch to Intel processors bringing with it the ability to run
Windows on a Mac. This, many with a chip in the security software game
argued, only heightened the potential threat to Mac users. I didn’t
buy their arguments then and I don’t buy them now. With the exception
of these Trojans —: which to me prove only that there’s no cure for
stupidity or bad judgment —: nothing of substance has changed since
then.

Windows malware in aggregate still far, far outnumbers malware for the
Mac. A malware discovery on Windows is still a near-daily occurrence
that no longer makes the news, (Conficker stories on “60 Minutes”
notwithstanding) while the same discovery on the Mac, given Apple’s
high profile in the media, makes news, however much the details
concerning what the malware actually does and how it spreads get lost
in the heat of uninformed reporting. The result? Fear, Uncertainty,
and Doubt, also known as FUD.

Critics are quick to point out that the Mac has a smaller market
share, making it a less inviting target. Since malware is now created
with a financial motive, and so malware creators go where the numbers
are, which globally means Windows users. Sure, there is some truth to
that, but I don’t see what’s small about 46 million Macs sold so far
this decade, out of a billion-plus personal computers in use around
around the world.

There are other factors to consider. The most determined malware
creators tend to live in places like Russia, Eastern Europe and China,
places where historically Macs aren’t as popular. Perhaps malware
creators haven’t the experience in writing software for the Mac. Or
maybe they're just waiting for the moment to slap Mac users upside the
head with something devastating. No one can say for sure.

Or it may be that the Mac OS simply doesn’t have the same types of
security holes and vulnerabilities that have historically caused
problems on Windows. I suspect it’s a combination of these and other
factors.

Regardless, it's clear that there will continue to be attention paid
in the media to the matter of Mac security. Rich Mogull at TidBits has
a nice summary of how Mac users and others should consider and
evaluate the stories that are likely to emerge about new instances of
Mac malware in the coming months and years. It will be helpful to keep
a shaker of salt nearby as these stories emerge and to read beyond the
headlines.

Or maybe I’m just a Mac-loving Pollyanna. In my own defense, I have to
say I like my chances to far.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/14093.141291259