[Infowarrior] - More 'torture memos' released by Administration

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 17 00:52:39 UTC 2009

Surprisingly they're not very redacted   ---rf

(Copies of the memos are @ http://cryptome.org/olc-cia-torture.zip)

April 17, 2009
Interrogation Memos Detail Harsh Tactics by the C.I.A.
By MARK MAZZETTI and SCOTT SHANE

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/us/politics/17detain.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=print

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department made public on Thursday detailed
memos describing harsh interrogation techniques used by the Central
Intelligence Agency, as President Obama said that C.I.A. operatives
who carried out the techniques would not be prosecuted.

One technique authorized for use by the C.I.A. beginning in August
2002 was the use of “insects placed in a confinement box,” presumably
to induce fear on the part of a terror suspect. According to a
footnote, the technique was not used.

The interrogation methods were among the Bush administration’s most
closely guarded secrets, and what was released on Thursday afternoon
marked the most comprehensive public accounting to date of a program
that some senior Obama administration officials contend included
illegal torture.

The memos were released after a tense internal debate at the White
House. Saying that it is a “time for reflection, not retribution,” Mr.
Obama reiterated his opposition to a extensive investigation of
controversial counterterrorism programs.

“In releasing these memos, it is our intention to assure those who
carrying out their duties relying in good faith upon the legal advice
from the Department of Justice that they will not be subject to
prosecution,” theWhite House statement said.

One memo showed that a top Justice Department lawyer issued a legal
opinion in 2005 saying that C.I.A. officers were allowed to use a
combination of interrogation methods to produce a more effective result.

“Interrogators may combine water dousing with other techniques, such
as stress positions, wall standing, the insult slap, or the abdominal
slap,” wrote the official, Stephen G. Bradbury.

An early review suggested that the administration had declassified the
vast bulk of the memos’ contents, a defeat for C.I.A. officials who
had argued that such a step could be harmful to national security. The
documents included Justice Department memos from 2002 and 2005
authorizing the C.I.A. to employ a number of aggressive techniques —
including sleep deprivation, exposure to extreme temperatures and
“waterboarding,” the near-drowning technique.

Among the documents were the 2005 memos by Mr. Bradbury, then the
acting head of the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel,
authorizing the C.I.A. techniques. The documents have never before
been made public, but an article in The New York Times in October 2007
said that the memos gave legal support for using a combination of
coercive techniques at the same time and concluded that the C.I.A.’s
methods were not “cruel, inhuman or degrading” under international law.

Another document released Thursday afternoon was a Justice Department
memo written August 1, 2002. The memo, written by John C. Yoo and
signed by Jay S. Bybee, two Justice Department officials at the time,
is a legal authorization for a laundry list of proposed C.I.A.
interrogation techniques. The debate about just how much detail to
include in the public release has bitterly divided an Obama
administration through its early months.

Fueling the urgency of the discussion was Thursday’s court deadline in
a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, which had sued
the government for the release of the Justice Department memos.

Leon E. Panetta, the C.I.A. director, has pressed the White House for
weeks to redact sensitive details about specific interrogation
techniques. He argued that revealing such information would pave the
way for future disclosures of intelligence sources and methods and
would jeopardize the C.I.A.’s relationship with foreign intelligence
services.

But the most immediate concern of C.I.A. officials is that the
revelations could give new momentum to a full-blown congressional
investigation into covert activities under the Bush administration.