[Infowarrior] - Another reason I don't like the 'cloud' idea

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Apr 16 14:01:59 UTC 2009

Stuff like this makes me glad I'm an old-fashioned person who likes
physical books (geek that I am).  If the bookstore closes down,
cancels my charge account, or whatever, I still have the books and the
knowledge within.  They don't come raid my library and deny my use of
the books.   Call me old fashioned, but I like positive control over
my stuff.  --rf

If you lose your Amazon account, your Kindle loses functionality
Posted by Cory Doctorow, April 15, 2009 10:36 PM | permalink

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/15/if-you-lose-your-ama.html

Ian bought a Kindle and some Kindle ebooks from Amazon. He also bought
some real-world stuff from them, some of which he returned. Amazon
decided that he'd returned too many things, so they suspended his
Amazon account, which meant that he could no longer buy any Kindle
books, and any Kindle subscriptions he's paid for stop working.

After some phone calls, Amazon granted him a one-time exception and
lit his account up again.

Leaving aside losing your subscriptions, this would not be such a big
deal if the Kindle had graceful ways of putting competitors' ebooks on
your device. What's your experience getting non-Kindle books onto the
Kindle?