[Infowarrior] - New Foundation Takes Aim at Urgent Threats

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Apr 15 02:56:03 UTC 2009

New Foundation Takes Aim at Urgent Threats

By STEPHANIE STROM

Published: April 14, 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/us/15foundation.html?hp

Jeff Skoll, the first president of eBay, has donated $100 million to
start a new foundation to address urgent threats like water shortages,
pandemics and the Middle East conflict.

The organization, the Skoll Urgent Threats Fund, will be led by Dr.
Larry Brilliant, the iconoclastic public health expert and technology
entrepreneur who until February headed up Google’s philanthropic
enterprise, google.org.

“That’s just a start,” Mr. Skoll said of the money he has committed
from his Skoll Foundation. “I’ll be putting in more money over time.”

Mr. Skoll is fast putting his mark on the world of philanthropy by
using a variety of approaches, nonprofit and for profit, to address
social problems.

His profit-making film company, Participant Media, is known for
producing movies like “An Inconvenient Truth” and “The Kite Runner,”
which aim to bring greater public awareness to social issues, while
his investment firm, Capricorn Investments, puts money into things
like waterless urinals and developing sustainable seafood products.

The Skoll Foundation underwrites the work of social entrepreneurs like
Connie K. Duckworth, who founded an organization, Arzu Inc., that
provides health care and higher-than-market-rate compensation to
Afghan women making rugs in exchange for their pledge to send their
children to school and attend literacy classes themselves.

“What I’ve been aiming at all these years is to try and address these
big social issues in the world,” Mr. Skoll said, “but in the last five
years or so, certain issues have emerged very clearly that, if we
don’t get ahead of them soon, all of the other things we’re trying to
do, whether improving the lives of women or preservation of species or
girls’ education, won’t really matter.”

Dr. Brilliant, who has given up his latest job as Google’s Chief
Philanthropy Evangelist, said he hoped to leverage the work of the
other organizations Mr. Skoll has supported in pursuing solutions to
some of the most complex threats to humanity.

“They are tools in the tool kit,” he said. “We may be using the films
and creative talent of Participant, or the social entrepreneurs whose
lives and work can inform our work.”

Mr. Skoll said he would like to attract other financial resources to
the Urgent Threats Fund.

The Skoll Foundation already has partnered with google.org to put $11
million in total into the Global Viral Forecasting Initiative, a
nonprofit group that identified 40 new viruses in Africa by studying
blood collected by hunters from the animals they kill and studying the
blood of the hunters themselves. The grants will allow the
organization to spread its work to other regions of the world.