[Infowarrior] - BSA equates software pirates to Somali pirates

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Apr 14 18:20:45 UTC 2009

BSA equates software pirates to Somali pirates
by Gordon Haff

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13556_3-10217889-61.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Some pieces essentially write themselves. This is one of them.

I received the following e-mail this morning with the subject "BSA
Launches Faces of Piracy Campaign." It came from the Fd.com domain,
which I assume is the Business Software Alliance's public relations
firm for this campaign.

     We've all been following the events of the past week of the
pirates off the Horn of Africa. Piracy takes many forms, some more
violent than others. I wanted to let you know that the Business
Software Alliance is launching a new campaign today "Faces of Internet
Piracy" that shows the real-life impact of software piracy--from
hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines to jail time. Click on the
picture below to learn more about the campaign...let me know if you're
interested in writing about this.

Whatever you may think of the BSA and its tactics in general, this has
got to be one of the most tone-deaf and cynically opportunistic PR
pitches I've seen for quite some time.

It's one thing to figuratively equate piracy with making digital
copies of software, music, movies, or books. We can debate endlessly
whether such actions are truly stealing or not. But that's not the
point.

It's that to literally and deliberately equate the two in the wake of
pirates taking a ship's crew hostage and the US Navy subsequently
killing three of the attackers...Well, words fail me.