[Infowarrior] - Obama DOJ 'new' theory on state secrets

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Apr 7 22:49:47 UTC 2009

Obama DOJ invents radical authoritarian theory to defend Bush
administration's warrantless wiretapping
Posted by Cory Doctorow, April 7, 2009 9:41 AM

The Obama administration has filed a brief in EFF's lawsuit against
the government for its program of illegal, mass wiretapping of
Americans, defending the practice, arguing that the lawsuit should be
dismissed, endorsing the Bush administration's invented "State Secret"
theory, and augmenting it with a new theory, that "the Patriot Act
bars any lawsuits of any kind for illegal government surveillance
unless there is "willful disclosure" of the illegally intercepted
communications." This brief was not written by Bush cronies left
behind by the outgoing administration: this is an invention of the
Obama administration.

I don't expect the guy to walk on water, but I'd sure like it if he'd
stop wallowing in the mud.

< - >

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/07/obama-doj-invents-ra.html