[Infowarrior] - ICRC report on Guantanamo medical officers

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Apr 7 12:26:11 UTC 2009

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/06/AR2009040603654.html?hpid=topnews

< - >

Medical officers who oversaw interrogations of terrorism suspects in
CIA secret prisons committed gross violations of medical ethics and in
some cases essentially participated in torture, the International
Committee of the Red Cross concluded in a confidential report that
labeled the CIA program "inhuman."

Health personnel offered supervision and even assistance as suspected
al-Qaeda operatives were beaten, deprived of food, exposed to
temperature extremes and subjected to waterboarding, the relief agency
said in the 2007 report, a copy of which was posted on a magazine Web
site yesterday. The report quoted one medical official as telling a
detainee: "I look after your body only because we need you for
information."

New details about alleged CIA interrogation practices were contained
in the 43-page volume written by ICRC officials who were given
unprecedented access to the CIA's "high-value detainees" in late 2006.
While excerpts of the report were leaked previously, the entire
document was made public for the first time by author Mark Danner, a
journalism professor, on the Web site of the New York Review of Books.

< - >

The report can be accessed at http://www.nybooks.com/icrc-report.pdf.