[Infowarrior] - Time Warner Unveils 40 GB Bandwidth Cap

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Apr 5 02:00:40 UTC 2009

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/time-warner-cable-bandwidth-cap,7466.html#xtor
=RSS-181

Time Warner Unveils 40 GB Bandwidth Cap
8:51 PM - April 3, 2009 by Marcus Yam
Source: Tom's Hardware US – Category : Miscellaneous

Time Warner Cable will soon be expanding its bandwidth capping plans
to more cities.

ZoomAt a time when new media and entertainment delivery systems are
evolving and leaning on internet distribution, internet service
providers are cracking down on the bandwidth that its users consume.

Time Warner Cable, which owns the Road Runner internet service, will
this month begin monitoring the activity of its customers in Austin,
TX, San Antonio, TX and Rochester, NY, according to BusinessWeek. Roll
out of the new program will happen sometime closer to summer, with
Greensboro, NC being the first city to see the change.

New customers in those markets will be put on tiered and capped plans
with monthly bandwidths limits starting at a miniscule 5 GB for the
entry level $29.95 fee all the way to an paltry 40 GB for $54.90. The
levels will be 5, 10, 20 and 40 GB, with overages charged at $1 per GB.

"We need a viable model to be able to support the infrastructure of
the broadband business," Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt said in an
interview. "We made a mistake early on by not defining our business
based on the consumption dimension."

With competitors such as Comcast offering 250 GB cap, Time Warner
Cable’s top limit of 40 GB seems backwards in comparison.

With video streaming services such as Netflix on the PC, Xbox 360 or
other set top boxes, such a cap could severely limit utility or make
internet bills skyrocket. Analysts estimate that a family who opts for
the 40 GB plan and streams 7.25 hours of online video a week could end
up spending $200 per month on broadband usage fees. For the sake of
comparison, the average American household spends 60 hours per week
watching TV.

Time Warner Cable defends its plans by saying that most people do not
use that much data. Basing its claims from a trial of 100,000
customers in Beaumont, TX about 14 percent exceeded their cap and had
to pay about $19 in overages. Time Warner Cable added that the top
quarter of users consumed 100 times more data than the bottom quarter
of users. We explain this simply by that there are those who use the
internet for modern services such as video delivery, and another type
of customer that just uses it to send emails.

For the sake of the progression of new technologies, we hope Time
Warner Cable at least offers its customers a little more freedom in
how they use the internet.